Why wont she eat????????

squeaky10199

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my baby salmon pink birdeater molted last week thursday and she is now about 3 1/2 inches. and she STILL wont eat. i thought it only took a few days for them to harden their fangs and eat? she jumps and runs away from the cricket when it approaches her. i dont know what to do but i hope it doesnt take no three weeks for this thing to eat because i hated it when my rose hair molted and it took that long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sssshhh...she'll eat when she's ready.
Check to make sure all her appendages and fangs are there and then be patient.
Make sure she has water and offer food every couple of days.
It's hard, I know. :D

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Dude,

don't worry about it. You shouldn't even offer food for two weeks or so after a molt, so that the T can harden up. Anything sooner puts your T at risk. Just let it be for another week and then try offering food. For now just make sure that it has readily available water to drink and you'll be ok. I suggest running a search on here about this kind of behavior, TONS of your questions will be answered. As far as your rosie goes, it's never a good idea to gauge anything a species does based on what a rosie does. Rosies are absolutely bizarre in terms of behavior, and aren't really normal at all. The only normal thing about it is it's tendancy towards abnormalcy... if that makes any sense.

Cocoa-Jin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It took over 2wks(I tried to feed her at around 3wks and she ate) for my Rosie to feed after her last molt. She has just over a 4in leg span.

squeaky10199

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well i was always told that you should wait atleast 4 days before trying to feed slings but i guess all spiders are different. so i'll wait and try to feed him in a few days. cant wait till she gets big!!!!!!!!

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They're all gonna do what they're gonna do. I wait 7 days for slings and as much as 2 weeks for adults. If their fangs haven't turned black yet don't even bother.

Tarantula keeping is an excercise in patience.

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hmmm

2 weeks is a long time to wait to harden up. It doesnt take that long. My irminia was good to go about 4 days after her moult. Stun the cricket to the point of paralyzation but can still move around a little (no they cant feel the pain) and drop it in front of about 2 or 3 inches and leave it be. She will be alright.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
2 weeks is a long time to wait to harden up. It doesnt take that long.
It frequently does, actually. This is a 3.5-inch tarantula, which is not a spiderling and definitely will not be able to eat after only four days. Squeaky, you are definitely going to have to wait a week or two.

i hope it doesnt take no three weeks for this thing to eat because i hated it when my rose hair molted and it took that long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Too bad, dude, cause tarantulas don't care what humans love or hate. They just do what they do. ;)

SNAFU

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
...and just like us-they are all individuals. My little L.Parahybana molted to 2.75" and I waited 5 days, dropped her a cricket and she immediately pounced on it. It may take yours longer, but yep-when she gets ready she'll eat. As long as she is all intact and her fangs look o.k., don't sweat it.