Went T Hunting ......... Again

BigSam

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok this time we went to this place called four peaks it's like going up to payson. Anyways it was like 8:45 pm when we started to ride this trail. We left there about 11:27 pm and not one darn T. :mad: :mad: We seen just about very thing but not a T. We seen this racoon looking thing it was pretty cool, my dad almost ran him over. I seen a bunch of little hopper mice, seen bout 20 owls. We also seen this huge beetle bigger then my hand and I got gorilla hands. :D

We must have the worst luck when it comes to fnding animals . :D :mad:

Sam,

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
did you guys happen to come across any burrows, or did you not even find those?!

later
dave

BigSam

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We where in a car taking this trail, we where hoping to find one crossing the road. We only got off the car twice. Should we look for them off the car.

Sam,

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think you would have beeter luck looking for burrows or at least looking at night for the males, the females rarely ever leave their burrows. just look around for a quarter or half dollar sized hole in the ground and pour a jug of water down it and be ready because the T will probably come running out

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
im walking around for a couple hours when im wild T-collecting..

its all about the burrows..
while i've heard many local stories (when im Tcollecting) about tons of "big spiders" crossing the roads, your best bet is to actually get out and burrow-search.

look for the silk,too.
its a give-in.

peace
dave

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The Rat,
Your going to have to walk around the desert to find any Tarantulas.
I've found them as close as 5' from the road, but I was walking at the time.
You won't find any T's walking around this time of year. Male's start looking for females in the fall.
There out there, you just have to keep looking. I collected two last weekend in Sierra Vista. Look around washes, around bushes and trees. The burrow WILL have webbing around the mouth, extending into it and if a T's at home it'll have webbing covering the hole.
Pour a little water into the burrow, and the T will come the the surface, or within a couple inches of the surface. Cast your shadow over the hole. T's don't like direct sunlite and this helps it them to come all the way to the exit. A flashlite helps. Put a thin wire into the hole before you pour in the water so if if T doesnt come all the way out, you can prod its butt to get it the rest of the way out. Don't stab the T, put a curl on the wire.
Also, prod the burrow so you know which way it goes into the ground. You know, does it go right or left, curve down or what.

I feel its my responsibility to remove the T after I flood its home, if it doesnt come out. I don't think a burrow should be flooded and the T left to drown. In other words, If I know its in there, I'm getting it safely out, if at all possible. So that means bring digging tools. You'll also need that wire to track the direction of the burrow.
I've found that many T's build ledges in their main living area deep in the burrow so when it floods from rain storms they can stay above the draining water. Pretty smart, don't you think?

Only collect a couple T's from a given area and leave the rest, and don't tell others where the area is. That way it wont get over collected.

There you go, good collecting..:cool:

Ern

BTW, I've found sunscreen and a hat to be a good idea.
Plenty of drinking water. Deli cups. No shorts. Look out for rattlers.

DiStUrBeD-OnE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by MrT
BTW, I've found sunscreen and a hat to be a good idea.
Plenty of drinking water. Deli cups. No shorts. Look out for rattlers.
And dont put any gel in your hair :rolleyes:
Me and ernie went out T hunting and i had about 800 bugs Buzzing around my face because of the smell it gave off.. sucked so badly..

Ian

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Jeff Corwins show was in Arizona tonight i missed a few minutes but from what i seen he dident find any Ts either. But was a pretty good episode.

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Originally posted by jper26
Jeff Corwins show was in Arizona tonight i missed a few minutes but from what i seen he dident find any Ts either. But was a pretty good episode.
Who is Jeff Corwin and what show is he on?

Wysi

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Jeff corwin has his own show on animal planet. Its called the Jeff corwin experience.

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Originally posted by jper26
Jeff corwin has his own show on animal planet. Its called the Jeff corwin experience.
I've watched that show. I just couldn't remember who the
host was. Thanks! :)

Wysi

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
It was a rip-off show, that's what it was!!!! In the intro, they showed Jeff holding a T.... so I watched, and watched, and watched, but no T in the whole episode! I got gypped!!

Mr. T; have you ever had success with the feather tickling method? I was even thinking of cricket-on-a-string!

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah i was hoping too see some Ts and scorps no TS and a one second shot of a desert hairy scorp. Only good part was the texas horn toads.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
The "horny toads" make the BEST little pets, even WC they are SO docile and won't bite for any reason! They are the cutest little things! Real prolific around here!

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would love too have a horny toad but i know they need too eat ants. There is a place that sells ants on the net antsalive.com. I was thinking about trying it because there so neat.:)

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by MizM

Mr. T; have you ever had success with the feather tickling method? I was even thinking of cricket-on-a-string!
I've had T's strike at the wire as it was pushed into the burrow.
But it only a quick hit, then it retreats back down.

The cricket on a string sounds like fun, but I don't think the T would hold on long enough to pull it out.

BTW, I watched the show last night, and I still can't understand why I live in this 115 deg. heat..:?

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
ALL Californians would reply:

BUT IT'S A DRY HEAT!!!

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
try a beautiful warm minus 22 degrees one january morning with about 4 feet of snow on the ground... just from the overnight.

but seriously, i'd take that anyday of 115 degrees ;)

i'll tell ya,i've never had to dig parallel to a T's burrow, if you get a coat hanger and double up the end up it, its not just a wire, but a very small barrier, since i've had a couple of small A.anaxes (sp.?) sneak down past the wire.. but those guys are wiry anyways, eh? :)

can't picture the cricket-on-a-string being pulled out either. All i picture is Mickey mouse holding a string with a bone on the end and pluto beingn twirled around mickey's head because he won't let go :)

peace
dave