Rats - to be alone or not alone?

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am considering obtaining a rat as a pet possibly in the near future. However, I keep reading conflicting opinions from people as to whether it's okay to have a single rat or not. Some say it's okay to have a single rat and others say they can get depressed without a companion rat.

I have also read according to one source, that if a rat has a companion rat, they will still bond with you just as much regardless. However, someone else claims that if there is more than one rat, they will not bond with you as much, prefering to be 'closer' with their rat companion / friend.

Someone also pointed out that if you have at least two rats together, they will groom each other which sounds like a pretty strong argument to me. Then again, for those of you who have kept single rats, do you ever find that their hair tends to get untidy or messy?

On another note, I have read that rats will take meal worms as food. Would they accept other live prey such as crickets?

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Let me put it this way: there are very few good reasons to keep a healthy social animal alone. Unless there is no way you can possibly get more than one rat, you should get at least two. They are a highly social species, and interaction with a human for a few hours is NOT interaction 24/7 with another rat; they groom one another, play, sleep together, etc. all of which is very important to their wellbeing. "Can" you keep them alone? Sure. SHOULD you? Absolutely not.
Every responsible rat owner I know has several rats, and find that rats with other ratty companions are just as sociable and friendly to humans. And unlike rats kept solo, rats with the comfort of other rats are less likely to be neurotic and miserable, which would arguably make them a more pleasant companion for you as well. If someone told you that their rat stopped bonding with them once they got it a buddy, I'd make a fair wager that they weren't spending enough time with the rats to begin with.
I've kept a few single rats due to severe health or temperament issues. Much like single female mice, it was very difficult to keep them adequately stimulated all day and prevent behaviors like pacing, bar biting, excessive sleeping, etc. While there are occasionally extenuating circumstances that demand a rat be kept alone, it is never a favorable option for a healthy animal.
As far as live prey goes, yes. Rats will eat meal worms, crickets, roaches, and a whole host of other live prey. They'll happily eat mice, actually, much to the dismay of many an uneducated individual who attempted to co-habitate them.

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thankyou very much for those words of wisdom, RoachGirlHen. Yes, it was the social aspect of these animals that had me concerned with regards to people keeping single rats.

"They'll happily eat mice, actually, much to the dismay of many an uneducated individual who attempted to co-habitate them."

Oh my gosh! I had actually wondered if there were many people who attempted to keep rats and mice together. I guess they found out the hard way why that shouldn't be done. Geeee......

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have also read according to one source, that if a rat has a companion rat, they will still bond with you just as much regardless. However, someone else claims that if there is more than one rat, they will not bond with you as much, prefering to be 'closer' with their rat companion / friend.
The kind of person that makes the latter claim as reason why you should keep (insert highly social animal species here) alone really, really bothers me. Essentially, they are engaging in isolation and psychological abuse of what is generally an intelligent animal just so it will desperately latch on to them for the couple hours a day they deign to spend with it, and they can pride themselves on having such a "close bond" with the critter.

That's not a close bond, that's making an animal lonely and sad so it'll end up desperate for interaction of any kind.

Like RoachGirl said, a couple hours of human interaction each day is no good replacement for 24/7 company of their own kind. One of my former housemates kept male dumbo rats, and they loved each other and people equally. (Well, except for when two of them started fighting inexplicably one day, so the instigator had to be housed alone and the other one got a new roomie. But their cages were still close together, and that seemed to be enough.)

fishwithoutabik

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
agreed with both of the above. they really thrive with the company of another rat (or rats). You will also get to see more of their personality bloom, and enjoy the games the play together. There is not a good reason (IMO) to keep one alone, it will NOT be happy alone when you are not there to interact with it. Get two! You will have so much fun with them!

Oasis Inverts

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am considering obtaining a rat as a pet possibly in the near future. However, I keep reading conflicting opinions from people as to whether it's okay to have a single rat or not. Some say it's okay to have a single rat and others say they can get depressed without a companion rat.
You can have 1 rat, but know that you will have to treat it like a new born baby. Take it everywhere. Or yes, it will get depressed. It's not really suggested to own 1 rat because most people can't give it the attention it's going to need.

Not true. They will bond to you regardless of 1 rattie friend or 30. You're their food and treat bringer. I am owned by 26 rats currently and they all run to me for attention as soon as I talk to them or open the cage doors. Bonding strength is all a matter of your time and paitence with them. Nothing beats a ratty who loves you.

Someone also pointed out that if you have at least two rats together, they will groom each other which sounds like a pretty strong argument to me. Then again, for those of you who have kept single rats, do you ever find that their hair tends to get untidy or messy?
Grooming each other is a type of bonding, much like monkeys. They will groom themselves just fine with out another to "wash behind their ears"

On another note, I have read that rats will take meal worms as food. Would they accept other live prey such as crickets?
Yes, they are omni's, meaning they eat meat and fruit/veggies. A nice wide range diet should be offered with the staple being high quality rat blocks.

arachyd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As everyone else has said, rats need to have social relationships. They can have attachments to cagemates as well as humans. They can surprise you with their intelligence and capacity for forming social bonds with each other as well as with you. They can also form friendships with other large mammals but it is not recommended unless you closely supervise their time together. Ours became very devoted to one of our dogs and would romp and play with her for about an hour every day, even pouncing out from under sofas at her. Daily playtime in a ratproofed room is something they really enjoy. Our dog learned to be very careful not to hurt her little buddies. She was so attached to one of the rats in particular that the rat took a daily nap with her (on top of her front paws). One day he just didn't wake up, he had passed away in his sleep. I looked over to see her looking up for help and whining softly but being careful not to move her paws. Our other dogs were not rat-friendly. Do not let them get near your other pets, especially invertebrates or they will make a meal of them very quickly.

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thankyou everyone! All very good points!

Arachyd, I am sorry to hear about the passing of your rat. It sounds like he had a really close bond with your dog which is really touching.

JnSInverts: "Yes, they are omni's"

Yes, the fact that they are omnivores is one of the most interesting aspects about them, I find. I think that will be fun feeding them, knowing that they accept a huge variety of food, including some 'human foods.'

When I watch documentaries on tv that feature rats in the wild, they are generally in groups. Though here's an interesting thing. Whenever we have had wild rats roaming around our home (or sometimes venturing inside our home in the hallway or bathroom) they are always by themselves / single rats. I live in South Australia and when I see wild rats on the banks of the River Torrens or in the Botanical Gardens, they are usually single, individual rats without another rat in sight.

With regards to pet rats, you have convinced me to purchase two. However, I'm wondering if the wild rats that I see around my state are a different species than the wild rat that the domesticated rat was bred from....hence the 'solo status' of those free ranging rats....

Unless perhaps those wild rats do belong to a social group but go out foraging for food by themselves (as individuals)...?

Last edited:

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So glad this thread is here. As I mentioned in my other "where to buy?" thread, I am patiently waiting for a couple of rats. One thing for certain, which is stating the obvious, a SAME sex pair is a must, unless you want an unexpected litter. My next decison is whether to go with two females or two males. I am leaning toward females as they seem to be "cleaner". I have read that males are typically more laid back and willing to just cuddle on your lap or shoulder. Any input is welcomed...please.

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm glad we're in the same boat, Gesticulator! I'm almost 90% sure that I want to get two females. I have heard that males generally smell more than females. According to another source, males supposedly urinate significantly more than females when marking territory. Then again, one rat owner said that her female rat still did urinate around the place a fair bit so maybe this varies amongst individuals? I have also heard that males tend to live longer and that females have a fair chance of developing mammary tumours unfortunately.

Though there is one thing that really put me off getting male rats when I saw a bunch of them at a pet shop a few years ago. And that was their really prominent, oversize testes! It was not a good look! Incidentally, I really don't think I would enjoy those things rubbing against my skin when handling a male rat.........

Last edited:

ErinKelley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pros and cons/Males and females

Both sexes make awesome pets, I've had a few of both. You can always get a male neutered, which takes care of the testicle problem and I heard they might actually not mark as much. A friend of mine had a squirrel neutered and it cost her about 100 dollars. Also compared to females my male rats were much more laid back and definitely content to sit with us for long periods of time.

All the girls I've had have always been SO active and motherly. Cleaning us constantly, and running all over the place and then back again to check on us. All my females have marked us and other objects at some point. Not as much as the boys but still pretty consistently. Usually I can manage to keep from this just by lifting up my hands or arms so they are forced to go under me instead of over.

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes the look of the testicles is something I would have to get used to if I get the males. I like the pros I have been reading about regarding males, but if they drip urine where ever they walk, I don't know if that is something I am willing to deal with. But then I thought, they will most certainly urinate where ever they please, regardless of sex. So far, I haven't found a breeder with any litters available, so it will depend on what becomes available first. Is it difficult to find a vet that will neuter a rat?

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's good information, Eklly. That is one of the things that I do like about the males from my reading...sitting on your lap / shoulder for long periods of time. I guess if you put a female on your shoulder, they would constantly be crawling over you rather than sit still? Though I guess this might also depend on the individual rat too.

I have noticed from my reading and from watching youtube videos that rats are inquisitive and like to explore and play with things. And this gives me an idea. What I want to do is get one of those big packing boxes of thick cardboard and convert it into a castle complete with turrets / towers and elevated platforms and windows. I'll make it as elaborate as I can! I would love to see them climb around and explore this.

arachyd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The males I've had seemed to be more laid back than the females. The females, if you put them on your shoulder they want to be investigating down your shirt and digging into your hair and sniffing your ears and anywhere else they can check out. The females are more fun-loving and the males are more snuggly. I have noticed that the dumbo rats are even calmer and more laid back (both males and females) than the regular-looking ones. Personally I think they are cuter too. If you are grossed out by the dragging nads thing don't get a male. If they poop it sort of sits on top of them (eeeew-like it's going for a sleigh ride or something) until it falls off and a really squeamish person would probably not be ready for rat cuddling at that point.

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well I have two male Burmese Dumbos reserved for me! I am so excited. The typical male personality is more of what I am looking for-you know to hang out, what a movie and eat pop corn with!
I have been back and forth between rescues and breeders. The rescues would be ok in the future, but for my first rats, I am more comfortable with the fact that the lineage is known and I am less likely to bring home rats with a disease or something.
The rescues were a bit more pushy too. I don't mind a PEW, but I felt like they were being forced on me. I was also feeling pushed into taking three rats instead of two. As I said, that might workout some time when I have some more experience, but not for now.
Thanks for sharing your experiences, looking forward to more.

naturejoe

Arachnopeon
I had a girlfriend in college with a pet rat (solo) that she had for several years. She loved that rat. One day it killed her pair of gerbils and their babies. To do so it had to push the screen lid off. She found it eating one of the gerbils and was horrified. She gave the rat away the next day.

We found out the new owner had a problem about a year later. The rat got some sort of ailment and she had to keep it at the vets office in a respiration tent for a week and it cost her $450. The rat was about three years old already at this point. Amazingly though, the rat lived another year anyway.

Now that is love.

Also, I kept a female rat by herself. She had free roam of my room. Food and water were kept in her cage and she mostly slept in the back of my desk drawer in a nest she made by chewing my papers. Once I let her have the nest she stopped chewing papers. She would also come when I called her no matter what room I was in. She would never cross an open floor though. She would only follow walls and furniture. She was pretty cool.

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
As a rule, rats should have companions, but there are definitely exceptions to be made. Most of my gang reside in same sex cages, in groups ...but Taffy is my exception rattie. She cannot and will not tolerate another rat in her space. I tried numerous introductions with same age, younger, older, different colors ...everything.. and she tried to kill everyone in her midst. It even took her some time to get used to her female neighbors, so she's permanently in the livingroom (not in The Room) and my husband and I are her rats :D

Good luck with your new buddies! Ratties are AWESOME pets!

STAR105.7

Arachnopeon
Ok, for one, NEVER give your rats live food unless you want them to bite you. I have owned many rats before, and once you give a kind rat live food, It snaps and goes nuts......literally.:wall:
As to if you can put a rat with another rat depends on what personality your rat has. If it was with other rats to begin with, chances are you can give them a partner (unless you want them to breed, do NOT put males with females!:eek: the breed like there is no tomorrow!). Some rats will be lonely with out a partner, If you see your rat sulking or never becoming active, chances are its becoming lonely, and you should give them a partner.
Your rat will not ignore you if it has a partner, it will love you just the same.
DO NOT JUST BUY THE FIRST RAT YOU SEE! rats are a lot like dogs (smarter too), pick the rat that comes to you (and does not bite you;) ). If you get a partner for your rat try to get a rat from the same tank, if you pick a strange rat from a different tank, they might not get along.:)
This can be counfuzzling now, but is easy in the long run:wall:

If you have ANY questions, p.m me!;)

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
^ You must have some oddly aggressive rats then :eek: ; most rat owners I know or have talked to give insects as treats and no one has complained about it making their rats biters. Yeah, if it is actively hunting the insect at the time you might not want to stick your hands in there, but live food does not alter disposition at all.