Brazilian Black and White

Poecilotheria

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi, I'm looking for info on this specie. I can't find alot anywhere. I am unsure of the proper spelling on the genus and species. What are your personal experiences with them? I'm getting a ton of 1/4in. slings, whats the growth rate about, when do the males mature?
Thanks alot,
Steve

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Try looking for info under Brazilopelma colloratvillosum instead of
Nhandu colloratvillosum.

There's a care sheet here, for what its worth:

http://www.petbugs.com/caresheets/B-colloratvillosum.html

I have a sling but its only molted once so I can't comment personally on the growth rate but what I've read usually says they grow pretty fast, Swift's descrition says they grow like weeds. My sling is jump and nervous. When I open its jar it will start running around like crazy, its still under 1/2" . I don't know if its indicitive of the species or just for the individual I have. Good luck!

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Nhandu coloratovillosus does indeed grow like a weed. I have a mature or very nearly so female that was a 1.25" sling a year ago (approaching a 6" legspan at this point). They are very easy to care for, seem to like very slightly moist substrate and will eat anything (mine's the Mikey of the collection). They're a bit on the bitchy side so be prepared for a feisty T. Mine won't hesitate to rear up and slap at me or the paint brush if I cross some line that varies from time to time working in her tank. She's never tried to bite but I definitely wouldn't put it past her if she thought she was being provoked.

I just got two 1/2" slings of this species as well, which means for once I'm actually looking for one to be a male

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very nice species to own, mine is still a sling so i don't have any growth rate info, but it eats great.

Andy

Poecilotheria

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the info, I just traded some stuff and that includes 10 that I got. I'm keeping them all for breeding purposes in the future, and hope I get alot of males. I always liked to get males, so I can send them out, that would help out the hobby alot.
Thanks for all the info,
Steve

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I got one at a show on 18/5/03 I think it had just moulted because it had a shed skin in the cup it came in. Since then it as moulted a further 2 times the last time being 13/7/03, Sunday just gone .It was about 1" when I got it and now its 2.5"- 3"
legspan, so They are very quick growers when slings I dont know when they get larger.
They eat like pigs and are a bit skittish. Nice looking to.
Chid

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
What is the correct name for this species? I see both the Brazilopelma and Nhandu used about the same amount. What is the actual taxonomic status, though?

Cheers,
Dave

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nhandu is correct...

I forget exactly when it changed but it is Nhandu now and has been for some time.

Phil

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Nhandu is correct, Brazilopelma was a junior synonym but it's still on a lot of dealer lists. Also, there's apparently some controversey with some taxonomists on whether it should have been synonymized.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Hey, if there isn't some controversy, it isn't a real genus. :) Thanks for the info, gents.

Cheers,
Dave