Chewing feet

RazorGen

Arachnopeon
Sorry to post twice about the same "crisis."
I already mentioned my Pink Toe's injured feet, and had stopped most of the bleeding. Now she keeps putting her tibia between her fangs and her mouth and squeezing, which seems to push more tiny amounts of blood out, but after that she seems to have somehow stopped the bleeding more effectively than what I could have. Any ideas what's going on? I'm sorry if I'm asking newbie questions, but good information is hard to come across and I'm the type who will be devastated if something under my care dies from an injury.

fictitious

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I know wolves will lick their wounds to help coagulate the blood, mabey this is something similar? If it dosn't look too bad then I would just ride it out, she knows what she's doing. Someone will probably post a more difinitive response soon but I think (and I'm no expert) that she will be fine judging by the fact that you're more concerned about her feet rather than her appearance and regular behaviour, I assume that she looks completely normal other than the feet thing.:) I know how you feel and I hope everything runs fine soon! Let us know how it goes.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I know wolves will lick their wounds to help coagulate the blood, mabey this is something similar?
I don't think tarantulas are anatomically capable of licking anything; their mouth is basically a straw. Their "blood" also doesn't coagulate, as far as I know.

If I had to make a wild guess myself, I'd say the spider is probably squeezing the injured segment shut, in much the same way they will sometimes sever such a segment entirely - they can usually do so at the proper portion of the leg so that the stump will seal itself off and stop bleeding.

RazorGen

Arachnopeon
She's finally moving around, still not walking on one of those legs that were bleeding though. Worried me that she would wait for it to stop bleeding only to reopen the wound. Looks like the bleeding stopped, though I may have to wipe down that side of the terrarium, couple blue drops. I love my Avic avics. I hope they continue to cohabit peacefully...