Best substrate?

Veneficus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've been doing research on the best over-all substrate for a tarantula and I was wondering what everyone else uses?

I'm interested in something which can be used for a wide variety of Ts, and I've been thinking about mixing my own. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Niloticus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've tried many, many things. Coconut bark has been most ideal. At least from personal experience. I've used vermiculite, peat moss, and just your everyday potting soil. A 50/50 mix of potting soil and vermiculite is something I often do also. Trial and error is your best bet for personal preference.

Niloticus

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do a search for substrate in the search function, you will have so many hits from people asking that same question your computer might explode.

As for what i use, peat or coco fiber. I use which ever i can find the cheapest at the time, they are both good.
-Nate

Veneficus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I actually did a search, and I ended up with a bunch of different threads which really didn't pertain to what I was looking for.

I have been using coco-fiber, but I'm finding it's too dry. A friend recommended mixing peat moss with it. I need something which will retain some moisture, but not harbor molds because I live in an area which has a higher humidity and we have problems with mold.

Another question is if anyone has ever tried to make 'living soil?'

Last edited:

matthias

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I actually did a search, and I ended up with a bunch of different threads which really didn't pertain to what I was looking for.

I have been using coco-fiber, but I'm finding it's too dry. A friend recommended mixing peat moss with it. I need something which will retain some moisture, but not harbor molds because I live in an area which has a higher humidity and we have problems with mold.
I don't like the coconut fiber for just the reason. It seems to me that it is always molding. I use a combination of "organic" dirt, sphagnum peat moss, and perlite, in a 3 : 2 : 1 ratio. I mix them with a drill and a paint stirrer in a 5 gallon bucket. Make sure none have ANY chemicals in them. I also bake the dirt and peat in the oven at 450F for atleast 1 hour.

Here is why I do that combo.
I've found dirt accepts water well but is heavy. It also turns to mud when wet, and drys too quickly.
Peat moss is light but almost repels the water if it is dry. It does hold the moisture well and when wet still provides a footing for the T.
The perlite is also light and adds "air space" to the mix, it also seems to help retain some of the moisture.

I'm in the middle of trying to add hydrated water crystals to the mix to see if that will help with moisture retention.

good luck

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I use 100% peat moss.
It's cheap.
it holds moisture well, and I have never had any mold problems so far.

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I use coco fiber for humidity lovers, even when dried it kept humidity at 60% in my T's enclosure. And, Peat for everything else.
:)

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
After years of trial and error we have settled for the most part on a peat/co-co mix with about 5-10% vermiculite.
We use this for the deep burrowers for the most part.
For terrestrials we use mainly peat.
Arboreals get straight co-co and 15-20% vermiculite.

Like everyone else said; you'll find your personal preference through the years.. ;)