Another ID this haplo thread

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I posted once about this t a while back. A few guesses were tossed up there but the pictures just weren't good enough to tell. It's a very shy kid.

I dug the feisty lil slugger up and today and rehoused it, getting some better pics in the process. Yes... I had a fun afternoon of haplo wrasslin' today. A better workout than step aerobics.

So, any ideas as to what this guy could be? A male H lividum perhaps or some other angry asian?

Do these look like boy parts to you?

seanbond

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i dont sex em but im currently sitting on like 3-4 asians that i dont have a positive i d on...all of them need to molt n i might have a better chance of knowing after they do, good lucK!

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It looks narrow, but I'm not sure about it. :eek:
As for sp.... the Haplopelmas are so screwed up, it's isn't even funny.
Good luck. ;)

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nobody? Anybody? Doesn't it at least remind somebody of something?

This little demon almost tagged me yesterday...

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Its not a lividium, if it was it would be blue. The males don't turn brown until their ultimate molt anyways.
It doesn't really look like a hap at all.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Its not a lividium, if it was it would be blue. The males don't turn brown until their ultimate molt anyways.
It doesn't really look like a hap at all.
Really? Ok, I thought male cobalts never turned blue; I learned something today.

So, if not a haplo then what? Maybe cyriopagopus? I don't know of any other genus of the top of my head that would look like this what with the slender legs and the strpey rump. Chilobrachys have bigger spinnerettes and more of a... tear drop abdomen, yes?

It was a freebie w/ a local trade and the cup said A seemani. i think it's safe to assume it's not THAT.

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer
Yeah, except the T in question isn't a hap:)
Really? based on what?
I can, I think at least rule out your Cyriopagopus notions by just looking at the tarus on the legs at least when I compare the pic you linked to and other cyriopagopus species I have seen.

So what is it about the spider that is screaming out 'I am not a Haplopelma sp.'?

The foreal grove maybe? To be honest I can't see it to good in the pics.
The stridulation organs? I can't see them either.
The spermatheca? Nope not visable to my eyes at least.

Not saying you are wrong, as for all I know it may not be a Haplopelma sp. but I just wonder how you are so sure that it is not. What are you baseing your findings on?
Cheers
Chris

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Aren't all Cyriopagopus arboreal? This one is obligate burrower all the way. it also doesn't seem fuzzy enough or with fatty scopulae like a cyrio.

If i can get him up out of the burrow (not likely) what pics would be helpful? Good shots of the chelicerae from asst angles?

I don't know what a foreal groove is. Googling that next.

Thanks for your help folks, the only reason I care so much about the ID is for potential breeding down the road.

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The Cyriopagopus ID was just a guess, never siad thats what is was. It just doesn't look like a hap to me, maybe its the pictures but the carapace shape looks wrong.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I agree that it does look a lot like a C schioedtei but just a little less fuzzy. I know nothing about the genus other than what i've heard abou C sp. "blue" which is arboreal. The shape of the abdomen looks a little un-haploish too i suppose. He's pretty overfed though, i was surprised how fat he was when i dug him up.

So maybe somebody else will stumble upon this thread and answer the questions: "If not a haplopelma, then what is it?" and "All Cyriopagopus are arboreal, right?"

This t did something today i've never observed. The premade burrow was about 4" deep. He lined the whole glass side with soil so it's a perfect tunnel, dirt on all sides. I've never seen a burrower give a hooey about whether they touched the glass or not. It was covered with paper so it's not about the light coming in.

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a sp. blue and have never seen it climb, its is a worse pet hole then the hap I had. I'm hoping it will be more arboreal once its adult.

robbie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
looks like Thai Zebra (Haplopelma albostriatum) to me. could be wrong though but i think I see the stripes on the legs. Just my 2 cents.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
looks like Thai Zebra (Haplopelma albostriatum) to me. could be wrong though but i think I see the stripes on the legs. Just my 2 cents.

People keep saying that...

THIS is an albostriatum and it's only about 1/2" bigger. It's ventral side is completely black and overall is more grey, less brown and has thicker legs.

This could be one of those questions that never gets answered, oh well. There are no more pics forthcoming as he's dug in now and i'm not tearing his brand new apartment apart just to satisfy my curiosity.

If he ever wants to get some nooky he'll pop his head out and be like "Hey jerky, I'm an H minax (or whatever)." Barring that contingency I may never know...