How palatable are Earwigs?

L_mactans

Arachnolush
Old Timer
For my Ts that is . I seems to have them all over my home and work, and I have seen all my spiders around my place eating them, but should I trust them with my girls? They have that pinser looking thing on their rears, and last thing I want to do is throw in something that will hurt my Ts.

So should I let them expire at the hands of my Ts, or from the bottom of my boots?

L_mac

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by L_mactans
For my Ts that is . I seems to have them all over my home and work, and I have seen all my spiders around my place eating them, but should I trust them with my girls? They have that pinser looking thing on their rears, and last thing I want to do is throw in something that will hurt my Ts.

So should I let them expire at the hands of my Ts, or from the bottom of my boots?

L_mac
Just my opinion, but I think your tarantulas can take 'em. They really don't pinch hard at all.

I feed earwigs to my centipedes with no problems.

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'd have to say it'd be alright as long as you're sure they're chemical free.

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Please wait for more opinions!!!

I'm sure I read somewhere (TKG?) that earwigs are toxic to Ts.

Tamara

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi
One of the ATS caresheets says that, like beetles, some earwigs may be toxic to your T. I'm not sure if it's worth trying to discover if your species of earwig is safe for your species of T. Personally, I hate earwigs, and would happily send them into a T's cage, but I guess there's no future in this idea. Besides, as nasty as earwigs are, they do feed on other, more pesky insects around the yard and home.
Tamara

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the earwigs around here are not that large or "meaty", I would be hesitant to feed WC prey to any of my t's just to save a few pennies.......
Ed

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'm right behind Ed.

i'd want to make sure there were no pesticides, you know?

instead of spending your money on "packers" tickets, go buy some crickets and come to a vikings game ;)

just joshing, but seriously, i probably wouldn't try it. I'm sure nothing would come of it, but, if youre asking opinions, put me in the "no" pile!

good luck there!
peace
dave

Last edited:

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by RugbyDave
instead of spending your money on packers tickets, go buy some crickets and come to a vikings game ;)
We're going to a Vikings game this year! (I've never actually been to an NFL game, not a big sports person.)

My dad's a huge Vikings fanatic, and they're coming down here to play the Rams, so we're going.

And back to the subject -- I had no idea some earwigs were toxic. Maybe you're best off sticking with crickets.

L_mactans

Arachnolush
Old Timer
Thanks for the help :)
I'm not so concerned about the cost of the crickets, but as a way of killing 2 bugs with one stone kinda thing. But I guess they shall be condemned to the bottom of my shoe instead.

And no, I am NOT a cheese-head. I am originally from New Orleans, and both States are not widely renound for their football playing abilities. =D

L_mac