any have LQ in a communal setup?

s1akr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
do they enjoy sharing a hide? or should i provide a hide for every individual?

Xaranx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All scorpions should have a hide no matter how communal they are supposed to be.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I had three hides for 8 lq in a set up a little bigger than a 5 gallon but definatly smaller than a 10. They mostly shared the same hide.
-Eddy

s1akr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh cool. Then I can provide big and small hides around and have them choose for themselves. Thx

bluefrogtat2

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
together

my pair stay in the same hide at all times.even when feeding.they come out in search of food at night,but have never seen them in seperate hides,although i provide multiples
andy

Andrew273

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have one big hide and a few little ones in my LQ setup though all three are usually under the same one.

s1akr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
nice! i got a big hide with a smaller one on the side if they so choose. can't wait till they get here. thx for the info.

redknee_freak

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
so you all are saying you can keep these Lq's together

i have been told for a few years now that they cannot be together

if this isn't true, then i am going to setup a tank for a few

if anyone has any pix of this i would love to see them

thanks
mark

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Dont keep them together unless they are mature because they will canabalize. If you MUST keep them together and you have different sizes I suggest you put in some hides that only the small ones can squeeze into. Even then you are running a risk. They have to be adult before the become comunal.
-Eddy

lilhildy

Arachnopeon
If anyone has pics of their L.Q. communal setup i would love to see!!! :D Considering one myself and looking for some inspiration.

Josh

freeman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i kept 4 L.q.h. in a little group for some time and they get along just fine. but never molted together. they could probably be canibalistic on the fresh molted one.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i kept 4 L.q.h. in a little group for some time and they get along just fine. but never molted together. they could probably be canibalistic on the fresh molted one.
I have had succes keeping them together young but as soon as one molted they would canabalize. The thing is that lq's are VERY hardy eaters.
-Eddy

redknee_freak

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dont keep them together unless they are mature because they will canabalize. If you MUST keep them together and you have different sizes I suggest you put in some hides that only the small ones can squeeze into. Even then you are running a risk. They have to be adult before the become comunal.
-Eddy

everything you have suggested , does make a very good point

thanks for your tips bro

Mark

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah but my spelling on a keyboard is horrible. I put "the" instead of "they". Thanks a lot Mark I try to help.
-Eddy

ralliart

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
-Eddy
You beat me to this! ;P

I kept 4 L.Q's before together & didn't encounter any cannibalism. I noticed that they tend to mellow down when they mature.

s1akr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, I received my shipment today. They're not adults and they're of different sizes. i ordered five but only four arrived alive, two relatively the same size, the other two incrementally smaller, ranging from 1.25" to .75". I really hope they get along well, or else I'd have to separate them.

The enclosure only offers two obvious hides consisting of a large bark shaped in a way that when placed on sand it creates two openings. More sand was then placed around and on top of the bark before water was added, and it's been drying for the last four days. Now the sand is compact enough to hold structure, yet soft enough for them to dig, and one of them already have.

One by one I placed them into their new home, and by the time I placed the last one in, the first had already dug himself in and was nowhere to be seen. Of the three left in view, the largest can still be seen under the larger hide, and the smaller two are frantically pacing the surface and running the opposite direction as they inevitably bump in to one another.

Of all the contact they had with each other, I haven't seen any behavior I consider aggressive yet. Some tail action was observed, but not done with the intention to sting. Although so far, they don't seem to be sharing all too well.

Now only two left in view; the two smaller ones. The smallest looks like he's digging himself a burrow after being repeatedly rejected from the existing burrow dug by the larger two. The smaller is still fruitlessly trying to scale the glass.

I hope this'll work.

Last edited:

ralliart

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sounds like you've got some 4-5i scorps. I wouldn't really advise you to keep them together as they're very vulnerable to cannibalism specially if one of them is about to molt. But I still wish you luck in your experiment. :)

ranging from 1.25" to .75" -is this tip to tip? if yesthen it might just be 3-4i.

s1akr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
no, not tip to tip. it's measurement w/o the tail (just torso).

well, I've heard stories from both sides of the spectrum, and thank you all for sharing. after some thought i've decided that i'm going to give it a try, and make sure they're well fed all the time and see what happens. i hope i wont loose any to cannibalism, but if it happens i'm prepared for it.

wish me luck.

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'm keeping 1.2.0 L.q.hebreus in a 10 gallon split tank. They're doing good and I haven't seen any of them fight :D. I'll try to post a pic of my set-up tonight or tomorrow :D