Growing terrarium plants in coconut sub?

Wulfgar

Arachnopeon
Anyone know of the growing capabilities of coconut fiber substrate? I would like some live plants with my avic.

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It's probably not the best for growing a live plant, I don't know that I've ever seen a live plant growing in sub that was exclusively coco-coir. Mixing in vermiculite or pete moss may help to facilitate growth though.

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Anyone know of the growing capabilities of coconut fiber substrate? I would like some live plants with my avic.
I had the exact problem. What I did was put my little plants in their plastic pots under the substrate and covered the pots with plenty on top so if my T fell it would have a very soft surface to land on. It's working great. My plants get what they need and the substrate doesn't get over watered. My T love it too!!

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
probably slim to none. vermiculite or peat might harbor plant growth better. i think it's already been established that trying to grow live plants and maintain a proper T habitat is a lot of work and a headache to most people, but if you wanna try, more power to you!

morris

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
can grow in coco fiber or peat, but need water and fertilizer, bromeliads too
yeah i agree.atthe start i didnt think my orchids were gonna survivie so i put a litte one in there. soon enough it didnt die and continued living. i think it wll work,even though flowers would take a long time bloom.:rolleyes:

CjP

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm guessing you could, but I don't think it'd be a good idea, as your T may not like the extra-damp substrate required to keep the plant alive. You'd also have competing interests as far as light goes; the plants need it, the T doesn't.

lewisskinner

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
orchids can grow in coco fiber or peat, but need water and fertilizer, bromeliads too
Yeah, Orchids can deal with fairly dry conditions. I want to put a bromeliad in with my C. Schioedtei, but I'd need a 30" wide cage just for the plant!

Wulfgar

Arachnopeon
The plants i have chosen require low light and medium water intake, so regular misting and slight watering is all

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ive had really good luck with a variety of humidity loving plants when i mix potting soil in with peat moss and/or coco fiber. You have to mix in a bit of potting soil though otherwise things dont turn out so well.
-Nate

Telsaro

Arachnopeon
What about plants in a centipede setup? I have a 20gallon terrarium (24Lx12Wx20H), and the principle substrate is coco coir and sphagnum moss. I keep it pretty damp to maintain 75% humidity inside the enclosure, and wanted to start some live plants inside to give my big Scolopendra subspinipes (7inch-ish) some more variety of cover and sensory input. And recommendation as to what plants would do well in a low-med light environment, would be safe for my girl, and would thrive in 70-80*F temps at 70-75% humidity? 16194941_10158163266205554_2661469566379168807_n.jpg 16114782_10158163266210554_7548175634040349682_n.jpg

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
IMG_3283.JPG Here is one corner of my paceman vivarium. The two plants in the back are cuttings in coco fiber. They have to be watered quite frequently. I plan to dismantle this and add soil soon though. They would probably be less leggy then

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
What about plants in a centipede setup? I have a 20gallon terrarium (24Lx12Wx20H), and the principle substrate is coco coir and sphagnum moss. I keep it pretty damp to maintain 75% humidity inside the enclosure, and wanted to start some live plants inside to give my big Scolopendra subspinipes (7inch-ish) some more variety of cover and sensory input. And recommendation as to what plants would do well in a low-med light environment, would be safe for my girl, and would thrive in 70-80*F temps at 70-75% humidity? View attachment 229785 View attachment 229786
you should add quite a bit more substrate.. these guys like to burrow.

Telsaro

Arachnopeon
I have about 4 1/2 inches of substrate inside right now. She seems very content to not burrow and just stay inside the log hide. I will probably add another 2 inches on top though, and I was thinking of using the potted method mentioned above. What plants have you guys had success with in pede setups?

@Matttoadman Beautiful setup!