hair kicking species

mdfic

Arachnopeon
i am trying to find out which species kick up hairs. i would like to steer clear of them for right now until i get a little more experience. if anyone can help i would appreciate it very much.:?

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Ooooooo there are SO MANY! Perhaps you should list what species you are interested in, that would make it easier!:D

mdfic

Arachnopeon
A. avicularia, B. albopilosum, A. versicolor, G. pulchra, G.rosea

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by mdfic
A. avicularia, B. albopilosum, A. versicolor, G. pulchra, G.rosea
B. albo, yes, Yes, YES! If they aren't docile. Mine did it ALOT before they were being handled. Now, hardly ever.

G. pulchra, yes, they CAN but I don't think they do it very often. My particular individual has done it once, one kick and that's it. Way docile!

G. rosea, gee, I THINK THEY CAN!! Mine are so docile that they haven't even THOUGHT of flicking. I actually have never seen a rosie kick hairs.

And, I DON'T THINK any of the avicularias flick.:?

ines68

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
All the mygalomorphae... but do not worry, it not so bad.. I have a greenbottle blue that kick hairs a lot, it hurts like ants bite.. I have others that have the hairs but do not kick it. The most important is not to make them nervous because there you will have the hairs kick

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hi

Almost all if not all Brachypelma species that are related to the red knee(who also kicks haris) kick hairs. Stay away from a blondi if you dont like hairs. Avics dont kick hairs but rub them on you by shaking their booti=D (its funny though) avics(pink toes) are really cool. well any ways have anice day
geo

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
avicularias don't kick, but they can press their "hair" into your palm if youre handeling them.

notice sometimes if you ever stroke an avic's abdomen, they'll sometimes press it up into your hand. thats their version of "hair kicking"

they're pressers, not kickers ;)

peace
dave

EDIT: someone beat me by 32 seconds. But still, it stands :)

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Righteeee-o on the brachys, my red rump, although docile as anything, just loves to kicks hairs, sometimes it seems for no reason at all! Brachy aerobics or something I guess!

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by RugbyDave
avicularias don't kick, but they can press their "hair" into your palm if youre handeling them.

notice sometimes if you ever stroke an avic's abdomen, they'll sometimes press it up into your hand. thats their version of "hair kicking"

they're pressers, not kickers ;)

peace
dave

EDIT: someone beat me by 32 seconds. But still, it stands :)
Ohhhh, THAT'S what she's doing! I thought she just loved me alot!:(

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:)

I remember reading an article that was talking about how acivularinae don't release as many 'hairs' as a brachypelma.

so that may be why you don't itch so bad after the avic love-tap ;)

though i don't itch really horrible after a brachypelma, but i know some people do.

peace
dave

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
It's strange, I NEVER itch after handling or being flicked on.... could one possibly be immune? Or am I just "thick-skinned?":rolleyes:

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
if i remember correctly, pretty much all of your new world (north, central, and south american) tarantulas will have urcitatious setae. most will have the ability to kick them, with the exception of the avicularias (they rub them in as mentioned), and some Ephebopus (sp?) species. (if not some then all i cant remember) these have urticating hairs on thier palps, and can be a bit defensive. (from what i hear, ive never owned one)

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hey

Then what about the Psalmopoeus species they dont seem to have uricating hairs at all. My irminia dosnt have any and she's a NW species but I do not recomend her as a biggener species even though she is is beautiful and not defensive.
any ways have a nice day
geo

Last edited:

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by MizM
It's strange, I NEVER itch after handling or being flicked on.... could one possibly be immune? Or am I just "thick-skinned?":rolleyes:
yeah I think the same thign! My lovely little Bruce (geniculata) often flicks at me; I can feel them hitting my skin, but it doesnt itch or anyhting after. I only feel a slight contact liek when sand is blown at you, but less severe

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I too don't get itchy after handeling the avics...

i don't handle the Ts so much, though :)

have a nice day,
dave

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Then what about the Psalmopoeus species
didnt mention them cause i wasnt sure. . besides that and the fact that i misspelled urticatious it was my attempt at posting an intelligent response:D .

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Here is what is listed in this species (the Psalmopoeus species)
Trinidad Chevron
Suntiger
Panama blonde
Coasta Rican orangemouth

Also an answer to this forum a T.Blondi (Goliath BirdEater) also kicks hairs

Mendnwngs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Both my B. smithi, and C. cyan (GBB) kick like olympic level swimmers. :)

My G. rosea has kicked like twice

My Avics have both "Love rubbed" me to show me their displeasure at being handled ;)

Never had any itching tho.. I believe Im pretty thick skinned too..

Remember: Wash your hands before and after handling your Ts anyways. Just because you cant feel the Urticating hairs on your hands, doesnt mean they're not there, and cant be accidentally rubbed into your eyes / nose and make for a very unplesant experience.

-Jason

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mendnwngs
Remember: Wash your hands before and after handling your Ts anyways. Just because you cant feel the Urticating hairs on your hands, doesnt mean they're not there, and cant be accidentally rubbed into your eyes / nose and make for a very unplesant experience.

-Jason
Or... don't wash your hands, then go shake hands with your neighbor who has the barking dog that keeps you up all night!!;P
(Please guys, I'm just kidding!! No "horrified-that-I-would-think-of-doing-that" replies!=D )

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you don't want hair kicking just buy old world species, more aggressive, but no hairs.

Andy