Container size and pedeling growth rates...

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So do you think the enclosure size that the pedeling is being kept in effects the baby pedes growth rate at all? Or do you think it's basically based on the centipedes type, and feeding schedule?

Just curious, thanks.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
no, i don't at all. i have been keeping a tiger i WC at around ~1.25"BL in the same er... 12dr vial (like ~3.5"/8-9cm tall and ~0.75"/2cm diameter for er... a couple years now. it has grown to be almost as long as the vial is. i was going to repot it i but now it is an experiment/demonstration and will live until it dies in there.

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
no, i don't at all. i have been keeping a tiger i WC at around ~1.25"BL in the same er... 12dr vial (like ~3.5"/8-9cm tall and ~0.75"/2cm diameter for er... a couple years now. it has grown to be almost as long as the vial is. i was going to repot it i but now it is an experiment/demonstration and will live until it dies in there.
Cool, awesome info Caco. That's what I was wondering. I've been keeping a Haitian Giant in a larger vial for about 4 months now, and I've noticed a lot of growth, but not as much as my subspinipes variants. So I was wanting to see if it was because of the alternans was in a smaller container. I wasn't thinking such was the case, but I'm glad that you posted what you did.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
So do you think the enclosure size that the pedeling is being kept in effects the baby pedes growth rate at all? Or do you think it's basically based on the centipedes type, and feeding schedule?

Just curious, thanks.
Someone would have to take a batch (at least six, if not thirty) of captive hatched and rear one group in small containers and the other group in large containers to have any sort of useable data. I think small cages are fine for centipedes (they don't seem to mind) but wouldn't be surprised if small cages slowed down or reduced overall growth. I did have one group of captive hatched baby centipedes that were all were placed in 5.5oz. cups except one in a 32oz. and that one was the biggest. However, that's just a single animal versus an entire group, not a purposeful experiment with metered feeding and temperature regulation (it was on a different shelf as well).