Sprout in coco fiber?

MVDaniel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Anyone seen this one before? I have what looks like a large beansprout popping out of my coco sub. I was out of town for 3 days, and it wasn't there when I left. Wondering if I should leave it, or pluck it. Advice?

CjP

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you didn't put it there intentionally, I'd pluck it.

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Me? ...Personally, I would grow it to see what it turns out to be.

Cocoa-Jin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is the substrate very moist? Its soon to be spring, it could be a plant, it could be a mushroom.

MVDaniel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, the sub is really moist. It's definitely a plant and not a mushroom. Could it be something that may be harmful to the T?

Snakeguybuffalo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, the sub is really moist. It's definitely a plant and not a mushroom. Could it be something that may be harmful to the T?
Do you use "white prosso millet" in any enclosures you've got? At my pet store, we sometimes accidentally transfer one or two small pieces of millet into other tanks when we clean/feed/remove animals etc. into a tank that has eco or coco bedding in it. If the eco earth is moist enough, the millet will sprout, and it'll look like a little bean sprout and will get bigger.

MVDaniel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No, no chance of cross contamination. It's a new setup, nothing but eco earth in there, ever. It's been in there and very moist for about 11 days now and all of a sudden I have a beansprout that seems to be doubling in size each day........lol

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Name it Audrey and feed it crickets. {D

MVDaniel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lol, I'll throw a pic of it up tomorrow. I'd do it now but I left my camera at work.

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I had eco earth sprout once, it turned out to be nothing but grass though... so I dunno what yours is, I'm interested in seeing a pic though :)

penny'smom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think I'd remove it to it's own pot, and grow it up 'til you figure out what it is.

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think I'd remove it to it's own pot, and grow it up 'til you figure out what it is.
That sounds like a good idea. This stuff happens sometimes...it was probably some kind of seed that got missed or accidentally landed in the coco while it was being processed.

Chris