Curved Horn Baboon

gride225

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Does anyone know what determines how big their horn is I have a curved horn, but its horn is small, unlike the horns I see on T's across the WWW. Does the sex of the T have anything to do with it?

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, size is a major factor. The larger and older the T gets, the larger the horn will grow. I would think gender plays a small role, as the male is smaller, so will be his horn. But, when you mention a curved horn, there are a couple of species that this could be in reference to, and there is still much debate on the Ceratogyrus genus to begin with. How big is your T right now?

gride225

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My T is about 4in. The Sp in question is C. Bechuanicus. Its horn is not big at all.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Some species in that genus don't have a horn at all, just a sort of plug in the middle of their carapace.

I have 2 1"+ C darlingi and their horn is visible now although very, very tiny.

gride225

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was looking forward to its horn to grow larger. I guess I'll just have to buy another.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you're wanting something with a large horn, look into getting a Ceratogyrus marshalli. However, if yours has a horn as small as you're saying, it may not even be a bechuanicus. If you could post a pic or two, we could try to narrow down the specie for you, as a bechuanicus should have a fairly good sized horn. I believe it takes second in size next to the marshalli. But, looking at coloration, patterning, etc. can let us know whether it is a true bechuanicus or not.