Species in the Hobby

Smilodon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A few fellow tarantula lovers and myself are trying to make a check list of all the tarantula sp. in the hobby. :D These are the not so obvious sp. in the Acanthoscurria genus. Any of the following known to be in the hobby?

A. abnormis
A. acuminata
A. altmanni
A. aurita
A. bollei
A. borealis
A. chiracanthia
A. convexa
A. cordubensis
A. cristata
A. cunhai
A. cursor
A. dubia
A. gigantea
A. gomesiana
A. guaxupe
A. maga
A. melanotheria
A. minor
A. parahybana
A. paulensis
A. pugnax
A. rhodothele
A. rondoniae
A. rondoniensis
A. substernalis
A. tarda
A. theraphosoides
A. transamazonica
A. urens
A. violacea
A. xinguensis

There's not much on the internet regarding this sort of thing, so I thought I'd ask all you knowledgeable peeps. :worship:

Last edited:

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You have some synonymy problems there. For example: A. gigantea is A. sternalis these days...
Check out the Platnick catalog...

I actually have A. sternalis and A. cordubensis. I'm from the same country as these ;)

Pato.

CjP

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is going to be quite the undertaking, and I wish you the best of luck. Between mis-named Ts, hybrids, and name changes, you really have your work cut out for you!

Smilodon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You have some synonymy problems there. For example: A. gigantea is A. sternalis these days...
Check out the Platnick catalog...

I actually have A. sternalis and A. cordubensis. I'm from the same country as these ;)

Pato.
Ok, thanks much!

This is going to be quite the undertaking, and I wish you the best of luck. Between mis-named Ts, hybrids, and name changes, you really have your work cut out for you!
Thank you! It's definitely going to be a pain in the arse, but I think it'll be worth it in the end. I just hope people here will be able to help us out! It doesn't need to be 100% correct, since there's so many different common names for each sp, hybrids, and name changes as you said. We were just hoping to make a kind of reference for us and those like us who want to own as complete collections as possible. {D

tarantellajen

Arachnopeon
sorry but, A. borealis? That's a tarantula species? Thats the name of the Northern Lights, does anyone know what borealis means?

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
sorry but, A. borealis? That's a tarantula species? Thats the name of the Northern Lights, does anyone know what borealis means?
My greek/latin is a little sketchy, but borealis means either northern or from the north (approximately).

The northern lights are the Aurora borealis. The tarantula in question here is Acanthoscurria borealis.

Smilodon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer