Aphonopelma!

Poecilotheria

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi, just got my first T's from the american desert. Anyway, they are: 4 1/2in. A. chalcodes, 2 4 1/2in. A. hentzi. The chalcodes looks female, and the hentzi look better then I though Aphonopelma could look. How should I care for them? Can't find much on the caresheets. .
Thanks,
Steve

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry to seem cocky, but it seems more logical to see if you can care for them prior to buying them ;)

Poecilotheria

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know they like it dry and all, but wanted to know if they had any special needs, ect. and I didn't know when they would actually get here but they arrived this morning.
Steve

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I would care for them as an A. moderatum. The habitat is generally the same... or close!

Heather

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So here is my search thread revival!

I will be obtaining 2 A. hentzi's from a friend who is moving out of state and I am curious of the correct basic requirements.

Dry substrate? Or damp?
Do they Burrow or do they just need a few inches of sub and a hidey spot?
How big of container? 2.5 gallon... smaller or larger?

Any help would be appreciated, as I think I will be taking over their care tomorrow. (This was a last minute decision, so I didn't have time to prepare :()
Thanks!

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
A. hentzi comes frmon near desert to near rainforest environments. I would suggest keeping them on dry peat moss with a large water dish and about room temps will be good. somewhere above 65 to below 85 shoudl suffice.
Feed crickets or roaches.
they will burrow but if you put a clay pot with the bottom at about a 45degree angle wiht the top of the substrate for a hid they will usually us it instead. OR make a cave in the substrate.
they are pretty tough bugs .

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My A anax reeeallly likes to dig. Don't know about your lil guys but i gave mine 6-7" of substrate and she dug a 45deg tunnel straight to the bottom then took a right and kept going. Dry substrate with a water dish.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You can keep them in a kritter keeper with dry substrate, a hide and a water dish. I even put mine out in the garage during Winter in order to give it a Winter cooling period. Very very easy to keep

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
mine never dig, they jsut sit in thier little clay pots and annihilate roaches