P. leiosoma

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My 1.5" almost 2" P. leiosoma is gonna be moved into a tank with 7" sand with covered slate supports inside and under . Do you think this will be ok or will i lose him in all this sand?

Thanx
Mat

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Don't expect to see this scorp very often, but you might have a scorp who likes to be in light, as one of mine does. I keep multiple adults on 4-5 inches of sand (ind. encls.) and always see at least one of them at night (occasionally during the daylight hours as well), but from my observations, P. leiosoma is far less secretive than P. transvaalicus, though gravid females are much more likely to be seen on the surface of the enclosure than males (obviously searching for food and they eat like cows). Do keep in mind, Parabuthus usually tend to be avid burrowers, so don't expect your scorp to be easily located and don't go digging in the sand for it. They are much faster than they appear or act.

adios,
edw. ;)

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah my adult female is extremely fast. She will be out looking for food something spooks her zoom shes off by far my fastest scorp.:D

Fausta

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
P. leisoma

To add to this, my leisoma spends half the time in the light climbing around, the other half in a burrow he made beneath a potsherd. He sometimes hangs from the screen on top and runs around.
Kelly

Mechanical-Mind

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i was under the impression P. Leiosoma's were unable to burrow? hmph. perhaps//obviously i was wrong.

-matt

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Matt,

No scorpion is unable to burrow. There was some debate a while ago on ScorpionFans about whether or not they did in the wild. Field observations indicated that they tended to build very small burrows -- almost glorified scrapes -- but did not build true burrows. It was hypothesized at that time that the ones burrowing in captivity were trying to find suitable conditions. Even a rock will trap moisture in dry areas so they may be digging because the humidity is too low. Whether or not they do this in the wild, I do not know.

Cheers,
Dave

Mechanical-Mind

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ehh, once again my tail is between my legs. haha, thanks for your guidance. atleast it was a detailed explanation as opposed to "yes, you're wrong."

gratefully,
-matt