Crickets in enclosure / Feeding

ElvirasMom

Arachnopeon
I put 3 little crickets in with my 1.5" b. smithi, but I notice at least 2 are just 'hanging out'. One was actually drinking at the water dish with the T last night. Hello - stupid cricket. Anyway, should I take them out if she doesn't eat them? What is the harm if I do not? They are small crickets.

Will the crickets lay eggs in the enclosure?

And lastly do you all gut fill your crickets before feeding and if so, with what? I want them to be tasty when she decides they are no longer her buddies. :drool:

Thanks!!!

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
first off, remove any uneaten prey within 24 hrs. i have lost a sling to crickets before, and i never made that mistake again. the crix might be small, but they can do damage. if they are small, they will not lay eggs yet. i usually don't gut fill my crix, but that's because i buy them and feed them to my T's right away.

bio teacher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
With my slings (I have 5), I pinch the head of the small crickets before I put them in with the T. I then leave the cricket by the burrow opening and usually by morning the slings abdomens are large and the cricket can be removed.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
With my slings (I have 5), I pinch the head of the small crickets before I put them in with the T. I then leave the cricket by the burrow opening and usually by morning the slings abdomens are large and the cricket can be removed.
yep. i have stopped feeding crix live. i usually pinch the head (so the crick still moves around and twitches) so that the sling can detect it, but the crick won't harm or bother the sling at all. if the sling hasn't eaten it in 24 hrs, just take it out and try again in a few days!

penny'smom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Once to twice a week for slings is a good schedule.

There is a product called Gut Load that you can feed crix. I personally get mine the day before and let them chow down overnight. Thursdays are feeding day for my crew, so I get to go buy crix today.

hairmetalspider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Maybe I just have over aggressive or happy go lucky slings, but mine prefer a good fight.

Which is good, because I'd feel bad pinching a crickets head. (But then I'll let it get sucked dry? Yeah, I know.)

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ditto on the slings can get hurt. I never leave live food in with my slings for longer than 18 hours. I haven't the heart to give them brain damage in the name of feeding. I let my Ts wrestle them or I feed FFF if the slings are too small. They all eat fine.