Old Timer
Interesting pet, you've got there...
Have antivenom ready in the fridge? :)
Be careful!

Best regards Uros

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
very nice, i have a H. infensa and H. sp15 at the moment, will have to get more pics

Horizon

Arachnopeon
Hey All,

As a volunteer i was able to milk them and also learn a lot about them. It was a few years back. Yes i am very careful. I have had her for around 4 years. I love the different Tarantula species the US are allowed. Australia is also finding new T's and some awesome colours. Here's her old set-up.

opticle

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
some serious fangs on that beauty! beautiful spider:clap: :clap: something different i guess aye:cool: :cool:

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That'd be interesting to own, though what are the chances of them being imported here in the US?

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
so none of these Atrax Robustus are in sale in the states? this looks exactly like a trapdoor spider...

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Zero. They are banned for export by Australia, and illegal to import unless you can get a USFWS importation license and a legal export country. I'm not sure what the law says in Papua New Guinea, but I would hope they'd have some kind of restriction also.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
well, at least it's a female and not a male... ;P you might be hurtin if that thing got ahold of you and it was male. i would like to own a male!!! :razz: of course, one of each wouldn't be too bad either ;P

Horizon

Arachnopeon
Hey All, :razz:

I've just re-housed my female Atrax, so i thought i'd share a few more pics.

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
are the males more venomous??

i thought it was just because they are more likely to wander into someone's house due to looking for a mate

Horizon

Arachnopeon
Hey Froggyman, :D

Yes, the male is much deadlier around 6-8 times. I still won't take any chances with her. They create an amazing web formation around their set-up. In a week i'll post what she has done, since i only moved her in last week.

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks Horizon,

Any particular reason the males would have more potent venom
also do they stray far from their webbings?

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks Horizon,

Any particular reason the males would have more potent venom
also do they stray far from their webbings?
Male venom contains a powerful neurotoxic polypeptide called Robustoxin. It is much more potent to primates (us included) than any other mammal.