any one here keep ant colony?

Anh

Arachnopeon
i have Pogonomyrmex californicus (california harvester ants queen) from last summer. Right now it just got out of winter and started foraging. So far 3 worker, quite a bit of egg and a few 1st instar larvae. Pics coming soon.

sparular

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've been looking for queens this spring to start one. I'm not sure what species to choose (I'm in northern Florida). There are some nice trapjaw ants here, but the setup I have is not appropriate for them. My brother made me a nice hardwood and plexiglass home for them this Christmas. I'll try to post some pics when I get it populated.

Anh

Arachnopeon
finding queen take alot of experience. The best way to find them is on their nuptipal flight or mating flight. THis usually happens in the summer (for most specie). Everyspecies is different on how they do their mating flght. Some species require rain, some require clam winds, high temperature, and some evin do it at night. If you are looking for one, i suggest you find a species that is common in your area and do research.

Anh

Arachnopeon
i dont have a camera right now but you can look at my old pics.

eelnoob

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wow that's awesome

What do you feed it? How long before eggs hatch?

I have seen queen ants before but wasn't sure if they have mated or not, still had wings on.

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
Ther are harvestor ant colonies in Florida around Kelly road in Naples. In the field across from Dells.

Anh

Arachnopeon
^^ the one with wings are, however, they only mate in the air... captive mating is impossible.

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What is the best way to get the queen out of the nest? Would pouring water down their burrow work or is it best to carfully dig the nest out? I thought I might try making a big formicarium this summer. There is a nest near my house. Not sure what kind they are.

auroborus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i think pouring water down there nest is a horrible idea, besides the location of the queens and there brood can be difficult to locate. Ide say searching for foundress queens is your best bet.

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I caught a queen and several workers of an unknown sp. today and was wondering how you make the cd case into the ant enclosure?

Anh

Arachnopeon
i use the cd case method only for raising starting queen.. but its better when they have worker to use a dirt nest or a plaster and cement nest(best). Plaster and cement give you a clear view of the ants and their activities. the only problem is supplying moister to cement and plaster nest which there are many ways to do it.

Anh

Arachnopeon
roll up the papper or towel like i have in my encloser then sandwich them with the cd.. insert the ants and close off the opening at the end with another rolled up papper/towel . to give them water just insert food by opening up the rolled up papper/towel and give them food. for water just pore some water into the cd case and let the paper absorb it. use the tape to keep the cd case down and tight. no air holes are need.