Best for feeding small T's

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I got a .33 C. fasciatum at an expo. Although I was told pinheads would it eat fruit flies if I couldn't find pinheads? It also is not burrowing is that a bad sign?
Thanks,

bluefrogtat2

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yes

yes but use the larger flies hydei.the others are to small to be of any real use
andy

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I have two of them, and whenever I feed my other T's I tear off a leg or two and toss it in with them. They eat it with no problems. Also, I have a pill-bug (isopod) colony going, and if needed I can toss in some suitably sized babies for them.

SaintScythus

Arachnopeon
My B. Emilia will also not burrow and doesn't really eat. It's bigger since I got it so I just hope she starts burrowing soon.

Aubrey Sidwell

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They will burrow eventually. Make sure the substrate is damp. Mine had a hard time digging a good hole if the substrate was to dry. I feed mine D. hydei flies. A good trick is to shake the flies to the bottom of the container they are housed in (you know with all the food and junk), take off the lid and put a clean empty tall clear deli container over it and let the flies walk up into the clean cup, when enough flies have entered the cup slowly pick it up and shake the bottom one to knock the flies down while, simultaneously, fliping the other one right side up and doing thew same thing. Now you can get the lid on the breeding/feeding colony and a lid on the deli cup with the flies for feeding. Put the feeders in the freezer for about 3-5 minutes. They will appear frozen. You can easily shake them into your taranulas continer without a bunch of escapees and after they warm up the will come back to life. I have done this numerous times with them and it never kills them.

Remigius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I feed small mealworms. If I'm not sure the T can handle one of these - I decapitate and slice them with a razor. One mealworm is enough for 2 Ts.

----- edit:

As for burrowing - my Nhandu sling begun to burrow right after I washed my windows. The temp in the room became pretty low, so I thought that was the reason it made itself a shelter.

My C Fasciatum never burrows and it's, too, a sling. She preffers to just web the whole jar.

bluegootty

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i got a small A.chacoa(hope i spel it right..) , anyway,i feed mine with the rear leg of the cricket and they do fine..so u should give it a try...and c if it work for u buddy..;)

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cricket legs, mealworm parts, captive bred isopods and fruit flies all work well.

Ts can take prey a bit larger than most people realize. I have a handful of P. cambredgei feeding on decapitated lobster roaches about as long as their legspan. These guys are pretty aggressive feeders, though.

If you do attempt live prey always make sure to decapitate them beforehand for the saftey of the spider. In the case of crickets, pinch off the back two legs after cutting the heads off.

CB isopods are probably the best option if you have the patience to get an established colony going.

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I feed small mealworms. If I'm not sure the T can handle one of these - I decapitate and slice them with a razor. One mealworm is enough for 2 Ts.

----- edit:

As for burrowing - my Nhandu sling begun to burrow right after I washed my windows. The temp in the room became pretty low, so I thought that was the reason it made itself a shelter.

My C Fasciatum never burrows and it's, too, a sling. She preffers to just web the whole jar.
Thanks, but mine isn't even webbing! What are isopods are they the little things that look like pillbugs? So do all T's except dead food?