Beginner Breeding Advice

Arachniphile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd like to know what species of T is best suited for a novice breeding project?

T's I have:
mature female Rose Hair
mature male A. seemani (Molted 9/23/02)
juvenile Antillies Pinktoe
juvenile Green Bottle Blue
juvenile Curly Hair

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
try the Chilean rose, easy to come by, so finding a mate shouldnt be too difficult.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I understand that Curley Hairs are easier to breed than the Rosehairs. This is based entirely on anecdotal evidence, of course.

Cheers,
Dave

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
From what I understand, they're both actually pretty easy to breed. The problems begin trying to get the rose hair to actually make an eggsac. In that regard, the curlies are supposed to be easier....

Scott

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Right. That's what I meant. I have had little trouble getting my G.rosea male to breed with my various females. No sacs yet -- but no moults yet either.

Cheers,
Dave

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
From what I understand, B.albopilosum are very prolific when they do make an eggsac, and you could be looking at hundreds of babies. :D

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mendi.......i guess Holley could vouch for that...i think she said she got around 600 babies from her curly!!!!

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
that is correct...I would have to vote for the curlys :)
easy to breed, easy to get an eggsac
G rosea...easy to breed, hard to get an actual eggsac.
as for the others...probably in order of easist to hardest:
A avicularia
A seemanni
C cyaneopubescens

all of this is anecdotal of course, I only have actual experience with B albos, and P murinus
Holley

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Arachniphile
I'd like to know what species of T is best suited for a novice breeding project?

T's I have:
mature female Rose Hair
mature male A. seemani (Molted 9/23/02)
juvenile Antillies Pinktoe
juvenile Green Bottle Blue
juvenile Curly Hair
well........if you want to look at it purely from a practical viewpoint I would try the antilles first, then the green bottle blue then the rose hair and I would not try the others unless you plan on giving them away, just my two cents worth.
Ed

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
very true Ed!
And I should know...having lots of those B albopilosums around ;)
Oh, and welcome to another fellow Oregonian BTW!

Arachniphile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
After reading around and doing some thinking I have decided to purchase a female A.seemani, give her a chance to acclimate, and make an attempt at breeding them. What are the challenges I may face with breeding this species? Am I likely to lose my male? WHat type of enviornment should be provided for her to encourage an egg sac? What are common breeding mistakes?

Oh yeah.... GO DUCKS! WHo needs Joey? =D

Thanks for the welcome Imortal Sin...

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I bred my two female A. seemani's this year and got a eggsacs, but lost the sacs to mold before they matured. Mold is a constant problem in the humid situation I work in, hopefully you'll have better luck.

To breed them, I put the two cages inside a larger container and removed the lids and left them overnight. I let the male find the female on his own time.

Wade