Molt length?

CjP

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My rosie webbed herself up in her hide, and I noticed about 10 minutes ago she was flat on her back.... I've been expecting this for about a month, but now that its here, how long should the process take before I start to worry?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
My rosie webbed herself up in her hide, and I noticed about 10 minutes ago she was flat on her back.... I've been expecting this for about a month, but now that its here, how long should the process take before I start to worry?
it would help to know the size. should be a matter of hours for a big spider.

CjP

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
She's about 4 inches. She started last night around 2am, it's now 9, so she's been at it about 7 hours so far. Still on her back, and I notice legs slowly flexing occasionally...

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
She's about 4 inches. She started last night around 2am, it's now 9, so she's been at it about 7 hours so far. Still on her back, and I notice legs slowly flexing occasionally...
cool. keep waiting ;)

CjP

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, we've survived our first molt. She pulled her legs out about an hour ago, and is now standing upright. Now I'm on to the 'no food and plenty of water for a week' part... man that was nerve-wracking! No matter how many times you've read about it and you know it's coming, the first time you see her with her legs in the air your heart drops a little...

CjP

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
At four inches, it'll probably be more like two weeks, MAYBE three. :) Glad to hear it went well!
ok. thanks. :)

Now I see why they are called rose hairs. She was always kinda just brown before, now she has the most amazing pink hues, and an almost metallic carapace....

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Isn't it great? My own rosie has only molted once since I've had it (a couple years now), but MAN was it worth the wait!

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
congrats!

Aren't the new colors cool? Yes, 2 weeks is more like it until feeding, just check to see if fangs have gone from red to black (indicating hardening is basically completed). Also, you'll see some weird looking poses for the next while, stretched out like a pokey, laid out flat on the ground, as she hardens up.

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats on your girl's successful molt! Like others have said, it is incredible. A worrisome night and presto! A new beautiful critter in your tank. Since rosies can go three years without a molt you are lucky you got to see this one.

CjP

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was going to try to get the shed skin out for some pics, but I don't see that happening, since she balled it up and now it's in the hide behind her, and I don't want to disturb her to try and get it out. Oh well...