Cobalt burrow/behavior

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I heard it was uncommon for wild caught cobalts to create a burrow and those that are CB and CR are more prone to burrowing. Is this just a misinterpretation? This may just be a wasteful thread but I just wanted to know, kind of feel special in a way.

The reasoning behind it is:
My WC MF has made one massive burrow for the size of the tank. It took her a few months but I just checked on her tonight and was like what are all these piles of dirt then happen to see it. Maybe I kept it just slightly to moist.. I let it completely dry out and then found it. I have photos but I know everyone knows what one looks like unless someone wants me to share them here.

Maybe some of your experiences with this and opinions on CB Vs. WC burrowing and behavioral habits. In my opinion behavior wise, my WC is a lot faster, but less aggressive than my friends adult CB female. I was able to scoop his up and handle it whereas mine is a mean(will jump at you), crazy teleporter. His would go into stance over anything but mine will not get defensive but just try run. Maybe my Eris is just an exception. She is the one in my avatar pic.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I heard it was uncommon for wild caught cobalts to create a burrow and those that are CB and CR are more prone to burrowing. Is this just a misinterpretation?
I'm pretty sure cobalts are burrowers no matter where they're born.

JayzunBoget

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, burrowing is just a Haplopelma thing.
A couple of tricks you can try to see your "pet hole" more often are; 1) bury half your tank in peat or coco choir, whatever you like, but as you bury it, bury a length of pvc pipe (cut in half lengthwise so it is a half pipe) at an angle, starting 3 inches away from the side of the tank with just the end coming up to the surface. This will direct the burrow toward the glass and you may have a little underground cave at the end. 2) simpler but not as impressive is to use T-Rex's "Peek-a-view" burrow. The name is atrocious, but it works. I advise, however, that you cover the exposed burrow on the outside of the tank with some construction paper or the like.
And be damn careful with H. lividum. Your tame one is 1 in a 1000. For your one sweet heart, there are 999 out there that want you dead!:eek:

357wheelgunner

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A local pet shop has a few cobalt blues. I asked the dude if I could hold one. He said no, and to demonstrate why he stuck a pair of tongs inside the cages. The spiders were small, but came charging out and put on a real show for those tongs.

I will never get one after seeing how pissed off those things were...

Dillon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's what made me originally want one!!

Nobody wants G. Rosea's attitude 24/7.

Satan Incarnates!!

HaploFool

No longer a pet hole
Arachnosupporter
My Angelica

My Angelica usually just sits in the corner crumpled up and then comes out after all the lights go out. I have the start of a burrow that i dug for her but she hasn't really done anything with that yet. I caught a glimpse of her drinking at one point but so far she hasn't burrowed and I've only had her like a week and a half. Her attitude is such that she'd rather run off if bothered but when I loosened the container lid when I got her... she came out reared up so I just won't take the risk of handling her, I know she can get grumpy.

CharlaineC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have two Cobalts and lets put it this way. Both where rescues in extreamly poor contitions. I rehoused them in to med kritter keepers with nearly full of sub and a starter burrow made with the help of a beer bottle. ( when i tried to let them do it they just webbed into the corner. Now I am regularly removing substrate because of the mounds that are getting removed. If you want to see them put a small heat pad with something like canvis on the sticky side. then use heavy clothe elastic to hold it on they will burrow right up to it. and along it. I have thought of making tanks for my burrowers that are legspan +1.5" and tall so that I can watch the burrows being made.