What kinds of food do you feed your dubias?

EightLeggedFrea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I will be getting a colony of 50 dubia roaches very soon in the mail. This is my first roach culture, I decided to raise one as an alternative to those wretched crickets (I probably still have a few of those lil buggers still running loose in my room). I was just wondering what kinds of food you can feed dubias. I know they need a lot of protein like dry cat food and benefit from weekly fruits and veggies (as long as these are rinsed of any pesticides, right?). What else can they eat? Being roaches, can they be fed pretty much anything edible?

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Mine love Fish Flakes which are high in protein. Also,
Dog pellets, ground
Bunny pellets, ground
Chicken feed
Banana - cut lengthways
carrot - ditto
water gel

I'm no expert, but this diet seems to work well, and my colony is growing strongly. ;)

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I feed mine everything except for broccoli and cauliflower. Basically what ever is left over after dinner they get (I cook healthy so no preservatives and that kind of stuff) along with good quality cat food and fish flakes.

Elapid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
lol. i thought that was just my imagination.
/me lights a match

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You guys :embarrassed: ;P

I read that somewhere but I never looked in to why. I duno I just don’t feed it to them that’s all :? :eek:

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine get reduced price produce and soaked cat or dog food. I have noticed a big increase in growth and reproduction since adding the cat and dog food.

Rich65

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mine get reduced price produce and soaked cat or dog food. I have noticed a big increase in growth and reproduction since adding the cat and dog food.
No need to soak the dry foods, just grind them like coffee or in a chopper, I have an "ultimate chopper" we got as a xmas gift, thought I would never use it but its awesome.

I feed grated carrots, banana slices with peel, apple slices and ground dog food. My four roach colonies thrive. Oh, keep em warm, low 80's works great.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No need to soak the dry foods, just grind them like coffee or in a chopper, I have an "ultimate chopper" we got as a xmas gift, thought I would never use it but its awesome.

I feed grated carrots, banana slices with peel, apple slices and ground dog food. My four roach colonies thrive. Oh, keep em warm, low 80's works great.
I soak them so they also serve as the water requirements. They eat the mush fast enough to negate any worries about mold or fungus.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
You guys :embarrassed: ;P

I read that somewhere but I never looked in to why. I duno I just don’t feed it to them that’s all :? :eek:
OK, thanks! If you come across that info point to it please, I'd like to know.

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I tried to look it up but to no avail I have no clue where I read it. But I’ll do the next best thing and give them some lol Lets see if they die by morning or do not eat it or better yet my spider room might smells of roach farts :D The more I think about it if roaches can survive a nuclear attack I think they’ll do just fine with broccoli :eek:

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
I tried to look it up but to no avail I have no clue where I read it. But I’ll do the next best thing and give them some lol Lets see if they die by morning or do not eat it or better yet my spider room might smells of roach farts :D The more I think about it if roaches can survive a nuclear attack I think they’ll do just fine with broccoli :eek:
Well I can save you some worry, I have given them both broccoli and cauliflower and they are still alive and there is only very silent farting to be heard. ;) But if there is some good reason not to give them any I'd consider it not giving any to them.

Last edited:

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I feed my dubias chicken feed, actually they are pellets intended for game fowl.{D Plus occasionally I toss in some fruit and veggies.

I don't give them asparagus because it makes their pee smell funny.{D

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
PS...

and now that it's Autumn, I'll be adding citrus fruit to their - pampered - diet...:razz:

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Apples, Carrots, wheat bran, leftover crested gecko diet, leftover baby food, the roach food mix sold by blaberus.com etc. I tried grapes once, and they didn't touch them at all.

Rich65

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I believe the reason that veggies in the broccoli family are not recommended is the high calcium content is not good for the reptiles or inverts that eat the roaches. Same reason we dont dust these food items for our tarantulas its not needed for t's.

Sr. Chencho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't give them asparagus because it makes their pee smell funny.{D[/QUOTE]

That's why I feed avocado on occasions only, it tends to make their frass GREEN. But, when I do, they devour it quickly, and without question.

Fredster

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I feed cheap cat food straight out of the bag. I used to grind it but realized no need to do so. They eat it fine. Carrots, apples, oranges and bannanas for moisture. The only thing I couldn't get them to eat was a lime. You put the lime in the coconut and mix it all up...