yellow sac spider

OTwolfe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My apartment has yellow sac spiders ( Cheiracanthium inclusum), or so it seems from searching the internet. I find one generally monthly, wandering around on the walls or ceiling. I've heard conflicting reports about their bites. Are these spiders actually dangerous, or is it mostly overblown? I don't want to spray or call an exterminator, as I have T's. Any way to discourage them from living with me, other than lots of obsessive-compulsive cleaning? THank you!

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sac spiders do have a nasty venom that has similar necrotic effects like Loxosceles. In fact, they're bites are often confused and diagnosed as L. reclusa bites.

Chris

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i thought there was still quite a bit of debate about how potent they were

i tried to get some C. inclusum sent to me but none made it

next time i find some/a C. mildei i will induce bites :)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i could see it

i still want to take bites for myself... somethign strikes me as not right

Jpot

Arachnopeon
i could see it

i still want to take bites for myself... somethign strikes me as not right
While you are at it, check to see if the Hobo Spider has a necrotic bite. I myself don't believe it to be so, but I like my skin too much to try it out for myself.

Edit: I have yellow sacs, not to mention Hobos, in my flat and have no problem with them.

Last edited:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sac spider bites are no joke. Both of these are definite C.inclusum bites:

http://forums.insecthobbyist.com/view.php?id=20921,20921

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=68817

@ Cacoseraph: If you want yellow sac spiders, you should've pm'd me! I found about 30 of them this February. I have two in captivity right now. My area is infested with the little boogers.
in neither case was the malady ever positively identified as a Cheira bite. both times someone has Cheira in their house and gets hurt and blames it on the spiders

i am utterly not convinced

if you happen to be able to catch a cool 10-15 C. inclusum conveniently and it would not be a bother to mail them out perhaps we can make some kinda arrangement :D

my last attempt at getting some inclusum ended not very well (one DOS and one DOA (dead on shipping, i knew about... the dead on arrival was a bit disappointing)

also, i can in no way prove that the spider is not that bad of a biter by having no reaction to it's bite.... but if i get nasty wounds every place i get bit by it... well, i will be a believer :)

OTwolfe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well, next time I see one wandering on my walls I will try to catch it.

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
Andrew
I catch many of these in my house , no problems with undiagnosed bites yet:? :cool:
If you would like some I'll catch them for ya. I see them and usually leave them alone or feed them to my green huntsman spiders.
I am also looking for laeta for a project if ya see any

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
in neither case was the malady ever positively identified as a Cheira bite. both times someone has Cheira in their house and gets hurt and blames it on the spiders

i am utterly not convinced
I deal with these spiders extensively, both online and off. These cases match what I have observed in known "THIS spider bit me" cases. Cheiracanthium has a very distinctive manifestation in regard to its local effects. If the person examining the case knows what to look for, then it can be very reliably distinguished from any other cytotoxic spider bite. Certain systemic effects are also characteristic, though not always present. When they are present, and accompany a typical manifestation, and the progression and occurrence of the bite are typical, then I can say with near certainty that it is indeed a Cheiracanthium sp. bite.

I do know what I am looking for. In the first link ( the one I posted here at AB in the Bite Reports section ), I am 100% certain of a C.inclusum being the culprit. Absolutely positive, no doubts whatsoever. In the second link, at insechobbyist, I would say I am 85 - 90+ % certain that it is a C.inclusum bite.

If you don't feel comfortable saying with certainty "this is this species' bite," when the exact spider is not seen, then that's up to you, but I can confidently go out on that limb. These are both C.inclusum bites.

if you happen to be able to catch a cool 10-15 C. inclusum conveniently and it would not be a bother to mail them out perhaps we can make some kinda arrangement :D
I'll see what I can do! hehe. Always happy to go collecting :)

also, i can in no way prove that the spider is not that bad of a biter by having no reaction to it's bite.... but if i get nasty wounds every place i get bit by it... well, i will be a believer :)
As always, it depends on the venom dosage. Some C. sp. bites only sting, swell and turn red. Others bubble and/ or bruise. In my research, open necrotic sores are rare, but reddened, sensitive and swollen welts are common, and occasionally they blister. But they almost always hurt badly.

If you're looking to test these, you want to get the C.inclusum, not the C. mildei. Our native inclusum is significantly more potent than the imported mildei. And in general it is more common throughout the nation. Up here, I have only seen 2 C. mildei's. I can't count the number of inclusums I've seen or caught, but I'm currently keeping my 12th and 13th C.inclusums in captivity. If I can get it to work, I have a picture to show ya later that you might get a kick out of, heh :)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Andrew
I catch many of these in my house , no problems with undiagnosed bites yet:? :cool:
If you would like some I'll catch them for ya. I see them and usually leave them alone or feed them to my green huntsman spiders.
I am also looking for laeta for a project if ya see any
i am looking for laeta too!
if i ever find some i will for sure keep you in mind

as for C. inclusums... i will be willing to do a little trading to get them! i need a good amount (like 10+) cuz generally it is hard to get things to bite you and if i end accidnentily squishinga few to death i don't want me little ~demonstration to be over. plus i want to culture both species, i think they are pretty nice looking and enjoy having the "dangerous" species :)

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer

as for C. inclusums... i will be willing to do a little trading to get them! i need a good amount (like 10+) cuz generally it is hard to get things to bite you and if i end accidnentily squishinga few to death i don't want me little ~demonstration to be over. plus i want to culture both species, i think they are pretty nice looking and enjoy having the "dangerous" species :)
Starting today I will keep all I see buddy

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just don't test the L.laeta's on yourself, please? We don't want to see you suddently stop posting...lol :rolleyes:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
the effects of L laeta are pretty well understood so there would be no need to test them further. plus, they are like 8x as massive as L. reclusa and have much more aggressive venom... so i feel NO need to get bit by this species!

i might not even hand collect them.... though i for sort of forgotten how to catch thigns with tools by now =P

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would love to have these IDd proper, but I will venture to say these are L.laeta. I have 1 recently matured male and a few nice n' huge fems. Maybe we can make some more ...well, thats the wishful plan anyway. :D

The boy wont stand still for pics.. he caused a quick shirt removal/mirror search. I think he's ready to leave the cup, find a girl and do the nasty. :D

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Buthus, can you get a close-up of the female's carapace?

Cursed Lemon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My apartment has yellow sac spiders ( Cheiracanthium inclusum), or so it seems from searching the internet. I find one generally monthly, wandering around on the walls or ceiling. I've heard conflicting reports about their bites. Are these spiders actually dangerous, or is it mostly overblown? I don't want to spray or call an exterminator, as I have T's. Any way to discourage them from living with me, other than lots of obsessive-compulsive cleaning? THank you!
Hello, fellow Michigander. :)

Sac spiders do have a pretty nasty bite (all debates aside), but you really don't have to worry about them very much. They're mostly nocturnal, and are very well-behaved. They tend to scale the corners of ceilings/walls, and mostly just sit in the same place for a long while. I've been around them my entire life and never had a run-in.