To handle L. Parahybana or not to handle L. Parahybana... that is the question!

HaploFool

No longer a pet hole
Arachnosupporter
Looking for advice on this, I have read that you can easily handle them and I have also read that it would not be wise to do so. Which is it? What do you folks think?

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I for one, handle all my T's I can. I only have a sling but based on my handling of it, and based upon it's eagerness to climb on my hand I fell pretty certain I can continue it all the while it grows up. Have fun with yours!
------------------------------------------
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer... the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune...." {D

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yep

I started off fairly intimidated by mine. But, once I got up the nerve I found that holding her was a piece of cake (and when I purchased her she was 7-8", no baby). She rarely sits perfectly still, I usually have to do the juggling act as she walks, sometimes briskly, from hand to hand.

Someone on the boards, I believe Cedrik, has a theory that even defensive Ts, once removed from their enclosures, are much easier to handle. It makes sense that they would view their enclosure as their "turf" and be defensive of it whereas in a new, unknown environment they're less so. So, if you're concerned, cup it and remove it from its enclosure before attempting to handle.

--the nature boy

Lucara

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You can hold anything. Its just a question of whether your willing to take the risk of getting bitten IF she should decide to bite.

aracnochicken

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a 6" rosea thats pretty defensive when in her tank but once out shes a little pussy cat . I also have a 3" B. smithi that flicks hair at me to no end , same thing though , once shes out of her tank shes a happy little T and very content to walk all over me (reminds me of my wife). Now my MM Haitian brown ? Now thats a HOOOOOLE different story . There no amount of money that would get me to tough that thing , hes insanely defensive and tries to attack at any given chance .

The only thing I would say about holding your T is get it out of the tank or what ever you have it in and see how it is . If it still wants to kill you odds are your never going to be able to safely hold it . Its really not worth getting bit or risking an injury to your T.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I only handle Avics, and not often.

My LP was handlable, but between 4 and 6'' became quite bitey, but I think it was just hunger!

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't hold my L. Parahybana because she is a major hair kicker. Its just not worth the stress it obviously causes her and the itchiness I have to deal with.Plus after a couple attempts you end up with a T. with a bald butt,not an attrctive look in my opinion.

Last edited:

Parahybana3590

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't handle my girl, but that's more because of her food agression than anything else. It really depends on the individual T as well.

Veneficus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There is no way I would handle my 8" girl, she is major aggressive (and I like her that way <grins>).

jen650s

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I only handle Avics, and not often.

My LP was handlable, but between 4 and 6'' became quite bitey, but I think it was just hunger!
My Avics are the only ones I don't handle. I don't like getting pooped on {D {D and they have really good aim

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have read that you can easily handle them and I have also read that it would not be wise to do so. Which is it?
"Which is it" is the wrong question to ask. Some people have L. parahybana that tolerate handling, and they're going to say "yes, you can handle them." Some people have parahybana that would rather eat their hands than sit on them, and those people are going to say "no, you probably shouldn't."

There IS no "which is it." There is only "which kind of parahybana do YOU have?" which nobody on the internet can tell you. ;)

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
"Which is it" is the wrong question to ask. Some people have L. parahybana that tolerate handling, and they're going to say "yes, you can handle them." Some people have parahybana that would rather eat their hands than sit on them, and those people are going to say "no, you probably shouldn't."

There IS no "which is it." There is only "which kind of parahybana do YOU have?" which nobody on the internet can tell you. ;)
Very well said ! :clap:

SNAFU

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

YEP! I can only tell you that you wouldn't want to handle mine! She is wicked & unforgiving hellspawn! :evil:~{D

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I handle my mature male without too much hassle. Although the last time he was kicking hairs (pre molt) and so I got itchy hands for a couple days. :)

But I do agree with the others, all T's will react differently and although there is a generalisation, there are the few that break the rules. Like Demon Rosies.

zac1007

Arachnopeon
YEP! I can only tell you that you wouldn't want to handle mine! She is wicked & unforgiving hellspawn! :evil:~{D
I got a 3 pics posted on the ID page , could you please go check & tell me if she is a parahybana - since you have one ( zac 1007 )

zac1007

Arachnopeon
Looking for advice on this, I have read that you can easily handle them and I have also read that it would not be wise to do so. Which is it? What do you folks think?
I got 3 pics posted under the ID section , can you please go check & tell me if she is a parahybana ? zeus zac1007

robertcarst

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I handled both of the L. parahybana in my house, one at over 3 inches and one almost 5 inches. They are nothing to be afraid of, but for me the problem are the hairs. I always get a nasty reaction and my hands itch for like 2 weeks, so I don't handle them anymore.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I tend not to handle my tarantulas anyway, since it doesn't really do them any good. But I do sometimes have to reach into the cages for periodic maintenance. A few days ago I had to remove the water dish from my L. parahybana cage for cleaning, and when I reached in to put the dish back in place I must have irritated the spider. For the first time ever - it "attacked" me. Not a particularly bad attack though - it charged toward my hand and "thumped" me with its front legs, then backed up a few steps and held a threat position. No attempt to bite. I suspect that if I wanted to handle it, it wouldn't especially like it, but wouldn't be likely to tear my hand off either.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
P-L-E-A-S-E! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I'd handle yours without giving it a second thought. I've heard of a lot of "bad" L. paras but each time I've met supposedly one of them they've been simple to handle. :rolleyes: