A Geniculata Molt

phear_me

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've had my 1 year old male A Genic for about 6 weeks now and, as I suspected after 2 weeks of sitting in the corner and refusing to eat, he is now molting. The dead give away was when he made a web mat yesterday. I just got home to find him upside down on his web mat and not moving.

I'm searching for my camera and I'm desperately trying to get some pics.

How long should I give him before I start to get worried?

Thanks!

- phear

p.s. Off to find my camera ...

-----

Edit: I've now added some pics

Last edited:

phear_me

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Up to 24 hours, especially if it's a big one.
Then I suspect that I will awake to find a happy, healthy, soft A. Genic hiding in his hole.

= )

I'll commence with the feeding a week after he's all finished up. 6 weeks and I've got a bigger A.Genic - good timing for me.

- phear

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If yours is big, I'd give it at least two weeks. The bigger they are, the longer they tend to take afterwards. :) Good luck!

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Then it *might* be two weeks, but probably not more than that. It depends on when the fangs finally turn black again, if yours is visible after the molt.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
To post pics directly on this forum, you have to use |IMG| and |/IMG| tags around the image url, where the vertical lines are normal brackets. :)

EDIT: lol, nevermind, looks like you just got it.

phear_me

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well that was fast. His abdomen and thorax are completely out of the original shell and his leg segments are about halfway.

The old shell is pinned up against the glass so I hope that won't be a problem. Looks like he planned it that way though.

- phear

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
...is that a venus flytrap? I always thought those were fairly delicate plants. :confused:

phear_me

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Several legs on one side are out now and looks like he's working on the other side.

Is this a new world record?

phear_me

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
...is that a venus flytrap? I always thought those were fairly delicate plants. :confused:
I raised pitcher plants and venus fly traps as a kid so I have a lot of experience with carniverous plants.

To answer your question; yes, they are delicate plants, when they're not plastic.

= )

phear_me

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
okay he's done.

All legs are out now he just has to ... roll over?

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well done. Good pics too. Will you post a pic or two when he is upright and has his sparkling new duds?

Nice LOL on the plastic plant comment. {D

phear_me

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wow

I am shocked at the size difference for this molt. My Genic is, seriously, about 60% bigger than he was prior to the molt. If you hold the old exo next to the spider the size difference is stunning.

I got a great deal considering the dramatic size difference got for the first 6 weeks.

Last edited:

tarandrew

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Where the heck did you find plastic fly traps?

I was thinking of using real ones once I get a T. Blondi (since their habitats are pretty similar). I'm just afraid that my future T. Blondi will end up sitting on top of it.

I raised fly traps and cobra plants as a child too :).