Australian spider.. i dont know what it is?

spida77

Arachnopeon
hi im from Melbourne Australia ,does anyone know what type of spider this is or whether it is dangerous or not?:confused: it is hanging in my patio on a large web

i have taken a pic of it

kind regards

Attachments

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Fascinating how there can be such similar species on completely opposite sides of the globe. We have Araneidae that look very much like that here on the US east coast, widows similar to your redbacks too. Of course we don't have mondo-aggro deadly funnel webs or whistling tarantulas but still...

Cursed Lemon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Fascinating how there can be such similar species on completely opposite sides of the globe. We have Araneidae that look very much like that here on the US east coast, widows similar to your redbacks too. Of course we don't have mondo-aggro deadly funnel webs or whistling tarantulas but still...
Yeah, Australia has everything we have, plus or minus a hundred thousand animal species that can kill you. 8[

spida77

Arachnopeon
i found some more info on the spider i found,it is a female specimen of the garden orb weaver species known as Eriophora transmarina. It is normal for this kind of spider to occupy its web only at night. Garden orb weavers rarely bite unless trapped against the skin and no serious envenomations have ever result from such a bite as far as I am aware. I v been told this spider will die once the really cold weather arrives here we are just at the end of our autumn and it is almost certainly safe to leave it in peace until then.

spida77

Arachnopeon
at least down here in melbourne we dont have the funnel web only native to sydney, but we certainly have the redback which i have come across a few times, we also have a spider down here called white tail also very nasty

yep working outdoors or even just in the garden in australia can be very scary at times

lhystrix

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hi im from Melbourne Australia ,does anyone know what type of spider this is or whether it is dangerous or not?:confused: it is hanging in my patio on a large web

i have taken a pic of it

kind regards
Your spider looks like the Garden spider Eriophora transmarina, common throughout the Eastern states and often found in yards.

spida77

Arachnopeon
at least down here in melbourne we dont have the funnel web only native to sydney, but we certainly have the redback which i have come across a few times, we also have a spider down here called white tail also very nasty

yep working outdoors or even just in the garden in australia can be very scary at times
for more info on the whie tail for those who arent familiar of it here is a link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_tail_spider