Natural Terrarium Building

Batboi3000

Arachnopeon
So I have been drooling over many of the pictures on the terrarium pic thread. Oh man! How you take a 10gal piece of glass and turn it into a natural T heaven is amazing. I too would like to provide this for my 8 legged kids. There have been a couple of builders who have posted the "how to" of terrarium equiping, how they put together their beautiful terrariums, the plants they used, how they made their walls using foam, etc. To you, thank you! I wanted to bring the "how to" to the for front, or again, if it has not been yet. If there is a thread allready devoted to this if someone could guide me there, great! Otherwise, if some of you T mad men and women who design, and plant, and build natural walls in your own terrariums could guide a noob into a step by step of building his own, that would be amazing! Thanks!

Batboi3000

Arachnopeon
Bueller?

Bueller? Bueller?

Just seeing if anyone has tips on putting together a live terrarium. The type of plants, moss, putting together natural looking walls, whatever. Thanks!

thirtysixwood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
supplys- First thing you need is supply's. I had some of this stuff, but also purchased some as well. Cyprus Wood, Grapewood, are my top choices so far for wood. backgrounds can be purchased online or you can just make one. 2 medium pieces of Cyprus wood took up most of the back for me.... I purchased a tropic aire for 15.00 to help with the humidity, and a 40+gal pump for about 15.00 to go with it.
View attachment 71037
substrate all new substrate, I even added vermiculite to it as well,
View attachment 71038
cage and hydro balls- I got these hydro balls, 2in in the bottom, I purchased a 10.00 screen lid, and just cut out the screen part. as a divider. Put the substrate in. Atleast 4in. I have a ton in mine.
View attachment 71039
wood Make sure you purify your wood, microwave or oven... I just boiled mine. you may get small amounts of mold if its for a tropical species. Remedy, Rollie Pollies... I have about 8 of them. they usually take care of the mold...
View attachment 71040
finished product Ventilation is Key with tropicals. I recently rehoused this tank already as there was not enough ventilation in the deep burrow... But it looks just as good....I have a distant fan that is pointed at the tank and provides a mild breeze. Creativity is also key... Spend time thinking of what you would like it to look like... I spent at least 30 minutes in a few isles, putting the products I saw imaginativly in the tank to see if it would look good. For Pics Check out my pics in the Encloser/Terrarium Picture Threads.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: