Good home for a sling?

hillie16

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Bought 2 at Petsmart yesterday, thought they would be good for slings. 4" tall 4" opening at top tapering to 3 3/4 " at bottom... Good enough for a sling?

Attachments

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
well, maybe, and maybe not! how big are the openings?!
Holley
Ps-asking because I have lost a sling due to airholes being too large

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
right...but what I'm asking is the size?! if they are the same size as the regular petpals then NO! it is not recommended for a sling, they can waltz right out of there
Holley

hillie16

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just measured them, they are just over 1/16th of an inch, not quite 1/8th

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's exactly what I have my sling in. My sling is arond 1 1/4". Its body is 3/4". There is absolutely no problem with the top. The spider even likes to hang upside down on the top. There's never been any problem with it gettiing down. I cut off the silly "stand" it's on so it would be more stable and make better contact with a heat pad. It was quite tedious to cut off, though. I have a G. Pulchra and filled the container more than halfway with Jungle Mix.

Last edited:

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Although my containers are not the same as that pictured, the tops have the same kind of slits. I am not an experienced sling raiser, but I have kept my share of critters and I immediately concluded that the slits were wide enough for escape, basically because of their length. I mean slings are pretty flat dorsoventrally (top to bottom) and I know they can probably squeeze a little too. My solution? I put tape over all the air holes, leaving just enough length to the slits to allow in lots of air, but narrow enough to prevent my slings from squeezing through. I have three in containers like that and no escapes yet.

Bryan

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Those seem suitable for arboreals because they are quite tall.

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

i would'nt mind a few of those for burrowers, hmmmm---Jeff=D

hillie16

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by Weapon-X
i would'nt mind a few of those for burrowers, hmmmm---Jeff=D
Got them at Petsmart, they're supposed to be for beta fish.

I've decided I'm starting out with two:

Brachypelma smithi
Lasiodora parahybana

I have to get substrate and something bigger to transfer them into. I already have a ten gallon aquarium, That'll be good for the smithi, Do I need bigger for the L. parahybana? I'm gonna keep reading up on them for another month..I'll get them next month.

Last edited:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
good for you for doing all that research :)
I have my L parahybana in a 10 gallon aquarium right now, and she is just over 6". Still plenty of room, but I'm thinking at some point (9-10"??) that I may have to go larger.
Just make certain those slings are too big for those airholes, or slots, or whatever they are called!
Bness had a good idea with the tape.
Like I said, I am extra cautious after losing an A avic due to too big of a slot in a salt shaker.
Holley

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep my smaller slings in vials or deli containers with small holes punched in the lids for ventilation. I move them into pint jars once they outgrow their starter containers, then again into critter keepers or Rubbermaid containers once they're sub-adults.

Be aware that L. parahybana slings are amazingly tiny (and fast!) for being such monsters as adults. All four of mine are less than half an inch long. Such a small sling would have a hard time finding prey in such a large container and, most likely, would make a grand escape. I wouldn't put anything less than an inch long into one of those small critter keepers.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I used to use the same thing for my crickets. beware the black plastic bottom is not glued to it in any way, and it's a disaster waiting to happen with the topheavyness... see my post on crix disaster..

Bill.