How to Age P. Cavimanus help?

ManicDan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello, I have a Pandinus Cavimanus (Tanzanian Red Claw Emperor) and was wondering how to tell it's age? Color of telson or shape of claws? He is about 2.25 to 2.5 inches from base of tail to his mandibles. I'll attach a picture, the most recent one however he is eating his tank mate, so forgive the gruesome scene. Thanks... he's also fatter than normal for the same obvious reason.

marcelo_987

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That might not be a P. cavimanus, I find it just as hard to ID some Pandinus species as Heterometrus.

But......it is nearly or completly impossible to tell the age of a scorpion (and pretty much every animal in this world) without breeding records.

kupo969

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That is definitely a P. cavimanus. They do not grow as large as emps. That black telson kind of gives me the impression that it is an adult.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
IIRC, P. cavimanus don't gain the dark telson upon adulthood the way P. imperator does -- I have two P. cavimanus that are noteably smaller than another board member's, and they both have black telsons.

ManicDan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So think there's a chance that he may molt once more? I'd really love to see him just a little bit bigger (since I thought I had bought a younger one seeing him next to the emps in the other tank). If he doesn't grow he doesn't grow... but I think it would be more impressive, just more of that awesome coloring, hehe.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Now that I think about it, yours is probably an adult based on the size -- here's a shot of one of mine by a ruler.

You can tell it's a bit under two inches from mouth to metasoma.

I have to say I'm a bit jealous, though -- yours is a lot more "red" than mine. :)

Edit: Are you sure yours is a male? It may be gravid . . . the last overweight cannibal I had turned out to be gravid.

ManicDan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think he's a male... but I'm not possitive... if I get an undershot d'ya think someone can sex id "him" for me?

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sure. I sexed mine at the show I bought them at; their pectines clearly differentiated between male and female.

The hard part was trying to handle a nippy pair of subadult cavimanus at a crowded convetion without dropping anyone or getting pinched. :rolleyes:

ManicDan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How long is your P Cav right there? 4I... how many do they get up to...5 or 6?

Brandelmouche

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This one born around 03-15-2007, is an 1¾ in. I take the pic. yesterday.
The mom are a smal 2¾ in. I have some photos in my site mom with yougter on ther's bak. ;)