White's frog colors

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I posted this on a frog forum but I thought you guys might know:
I see quite a variation of white's tree frog colors. The one I have was sold as a "blue" dumpy tree frog and they also have green dumpy tree frogs with small white spots on them.
I know these guys can change color but the slim green ones look a bit different than my chubby blue guy and I know they are Whites. Are these the same species and can they be kept together? Could I breed a blue and a green spotty one?

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
most whites change colors...my old one would go from brown to green to blue..i dunno about the spots

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've read that the green ones are from Indonesia and the blue ones are from Australia. Same care I'm guessing. I wonder if they could interbreed though.

I got mine to croak this weekend by making croaking sounds at it. It was pretty funny. I saw people do it on youtube but I didn't realize it would work that well. Hehe.

Jer

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Litoria caerulea. These frogs are highly variable in colour, ranging from light blue, to bluish-green, to emerald green, with or without whitish to gold coloured spots. Hence, a "blue" White's tree frog and a "green with white spots" White's tree frog are one and the same species, capable of reproducing, and requiring the same husbandry.

The statement that "green" ones are from Indonesia and "blue" ones are from Australia is likely misleading and incorrect.

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Great! Thanks for clearing that up. :D
I figured they were the same species but I was finding some conflicting info about why they are different colors.