Psalmopoeus cambridgei sling enclosure

saminthemiddle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dear All:

I would like to inquire as to how much substrate people here think a 3/4" P. cambridgei needs to burrow in. I know that they are simi-arboreal, especially at this age.

I have a container for her that can accommodate up to one inch of soil and no more. However, it's great for controlling the animal and cleaning. I use it for my Avic and was wondering if it would work for my Psalmopoeus.

If not, could someone give me a minimum and recommended depths?

Thanks a bunch!

Harrod

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
An inch of substrate is plenty. Once the sling starts digging it'll move the substrate around to fit its needs and soon most of the enclosure will be filled.

saminthemiddle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think you mistunderstand Harrod, the reason why it can't be filled up is that it's not big enough to take more dirt. It's like a one inch bottom and a three inch or so lid. :p

Thanks though, I'm going to go ahead and put her in there.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Harrod did not misunderstand, hon.....

I believe what Harrod meant was that 1" is plenty for substrate and the sling will incorporate the soil/substrate into the copious webbing it will produce. It will look as if the container is filled with webby dirt. ;)

Harrod

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Harrod did not misunderstand, hon.....

I believe what Harrod meant was that 1" is plenty for substrate and the sling will incorporate the soil/substrate into the copious webbing it will produce. It will look as if the container is filled with webby dirt. ;)
That is what I was trying to say. Thanks Rochelle. :razz:

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hmm

I think I know what you're planning on using for a container, but a pic would help. If you're planning on using the "upside down acrylic with the cork glued to the top" type of setup, it will not work for Psalmos. While an Avic will most obligingly web up at the top so you can lift it up and get to the substrate, the Psalmo is going to turn the entire container into a really cool burrow/tube web structure. What you need is the acrylic containers that have the lid on the top. I'm at work, but I'll try and remember to get some pics to show you what I'm trying to explain.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think I know what you're planning on using for a container, but a pic would help. If you're planning on using the "upside down acrylic with the cork glued to the top" type of setup, it will not work for Psalmos. While an Avic will most obligingly web up at the top so you can lift it up and get to the substrate, the Psalmo is going to turn the entire container into a really cool burrow/tube web structure. What you need is the acrylic containers that have the lid on the top. I'm at work, but I'll try and remember to get some pics to show you what I'm trying to explain.
Absolutely correct! :clap:
DO NOT use the upside down method for this sp.!!! I can practically guarantee that you won't like the results....lolol. It will start by making a tube/tunnel that starts in the substrate and continues throughout the container, complete with dirt. Wait until grown out of the need to burrow, before using this method!! :embarrassed:

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
here's what I mean . . .

This shows the difference between the Avic and Psalmo containers I use. (Not pretty, but you get the drift)

Attachments

saminthemiddle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks a million guys! I'm going to move my cambridgi to the appropriate setup ASAP.

PS: I can't post pics of it because my camera's USB cable is damaged. I'll get a new one soon though.