Wait ____ days to feed a T after a molt. (Poll)

Wait ____ days to feed a T after a molt.

• 2 Days

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • 1 week

Votes: 94 89.5%
  • 1 month

Votes: 6 5.7%

• Total voters

Cuttszo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So much info on the internet about feeding a t after a molt but how much of it is actually accurate. how long is it necessary to wait prior to feeding? i've read articles that range from three days to a full month and everything in between so, being a relatively new tarantula owner im not quite sure what to do or how long to wait. i don't handle my T, l. parahybana so im not quite sure if she's hardened and i certainly don't wnat to risk breaking her fangs. :(

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I didn't vote because every one of those options is correct depending on the T's size and any molt problems,,,and a few other variables that make this impossible to answer.

Cuttszo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I didn't vote because every one of those options is correct depending on the T's size and any molt problems,,,and a few other variables that make this impossible to answer.
Just answer the question, Gandhi.

jazaman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If it`s an adult T I usually wait about 2 weeks or more. Juveniles about a week....I always pay attention to the colour of the fangs!!

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
If it`s an adult T I usually wait about 2 weeks or more. Juveniles about a week....I always pay attention to the colour of the fangs!!
That is a far better meter for when to start feeding again.

And I'd also suggest not snapping at people who give you honest and informed answers.

Lucara

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'd have to agree with all of the above. Theres not enough information to give a guess. I'm not going to wait a month to feed one of my 1/4" spiderlings because it would have molted again but I'm not going to wait 2days to try and feed a 7" female. I would redo the poll with something like.."Wait.....days to feed my 6" rosea." or something like that.

von_z

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree with everyone else. It depends on when the fangs have hardened up and turned black again. The amount of time can vary from a couple of days to several weeks depending on the species and size of the T. This is a poll with no possible correct answer.

jenniferinny

Arachnoknight
I also base it on fang color. Every tarantula is different, so until I see the fangs are black I don't feed. With burrowers I won't see, I wait two weeks to allow for a bad molt. Waiting a bit longer to feed won't be a big deal, leaving prey in with a tarantula with soft fangs would be a lot worse..
Either that or I'll toss a prekilled cricket near the burrow and see if it takes it..

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Sorry bro they're right, all depends on the specimen in question.

-Sean

jen650s

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's not a reasonable question, I've had slings ready to feed within 24 hours of a molt and adults not for a month.

It depends on age, species, temperature and I am sure many other factors.

matthias

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just answer the question, Gandhi.
If you are not going to listen to the advice others offer you why do you bother posting?

It is not a question with one answer. Like everyone else has it depends on the T. Personally I always feed within the week for slings and within two weeks for adults.
But those are just rules of thumb. If a T is moving about and it's fangs are black you can offer. But if the T does not eat with in 48 hours, the prey should be removed.

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I always wait about 5-7 days before feeding after a molt. But the color of the fangs is the best indicator.

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree.

I used to wait a full week until I had a sling, H incei who practically begged for food barely two days after a molt. I fed it and like lightening it grabbed the pinhead and ate it. I now let the T decide.

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If I understand correctly, Desert Dweller. But it was a sling.

Nam

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
LoL nice start to this thread ha ha ha.
My T (B.Smithi) molted three days ago into a 3 1/4" I looked at its fangs today as it crawled onto the side of its enclosure to give me a clear view of its fangs,,,they were black:) So I am going to wait a couple more days before I feed it.

DreadLobster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm agreeing with von z. Time is irrelevant. Do not feed the tarantula until its fangs are a nice glossy black like they normally are. That could take a few days or a few weeks depending on the type/size. After that, its all up to whether or not its hungry.

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd like to know who waits two days to feed their T's... at any size

-Sean
I've had slings eat less than 24 hours after a molt. I've had many adults not eat until two or three weeks after. I had a rosie not eat for 6 months after. The answer will vary.