P. murinus is here

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yesterday, I got an approximately 4 inch P. murinus from my local pet shop. It didn't come out of the cup that it was in for some time, but at soon as it did, it ran extremely fast through the enclosure up the walls and almost escaped (I shut the screen fast). It walked around the sides for the longest time, looked very cool. But now it enclosed itself in the hideout that I gave it and it put substrate all over it perfectly so that it cannot be seen. I was informed that it molted two weeks ago and this particular one has a "nasty" temperament. It's abdomen is of a good size so it's most likely eaten recently. I know this species is said to be semi arboreal, but what else should I expect from it? I am worried about the fact that it has entirely covered it's retreat and it staying in there. If it stays in there too much longer, should I encover it? If it stays in there how am I supposed to feed it? Any advice? I think I read in another threat that Mr. T has a P. murinus; any advice from you? :)

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
LOL...NO!!! don't uncover it, unless you have some long tongs, and really want to piss it off :D
Believe me, you want to see a mad spider, just mess with this one's retreat! They are fairly secretive, but usually come strolling out at night. They create fantastic amounts of webbing, and can run right through it in the blink of an eye. Don't worry about how it will feed itself, that is no problem.
just keep it on dry substrate, with a water dish, they are super hardy.
One of mine is arboreal, the other has a nice deep burrow, and I don't mess with either of them ;)

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would recommend never touching it unless you just happen to have one of those handy dandy ten foot poles kicking around. Last night I changed the substrate in my Usumburas cage and it took 45 mins just to round it up so that I didnt get bitten. Mine is so mean but I still get a kick of how it hisses by grinding its fangs together. Mine molted inside its web retreat. Otherwise it usually just hangs on a sorta hammock that it makes and destroys it every couple of days and makes a new one.

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hey

Leave the retreat in there, you can see it at night. This isnt the best display animal. They love hiding like Holley said

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: hey

Originally posted by Alonso99
Leave the retreat in there, you can see it at night. This isnt the best display animal. They love hiding like Holley said
:? :? :?

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Immortal_sin
LOL...NO!!! don't uncover it, unless you have some long tongs, and really want to piss it off :D
Believe me, you want to see a mad spider, just mess with this one's retreat! They are fairly secretive, but usually come strolling out at night. They create fantastic amounts of webbing, and can run right through it in the blink of an eye. Don't worry about how it will feed itself, that is no problem.
just keep it on dry substrate, with a water dish, they are super hardy.
One of mine is arboreal, the other has a nice deep burrow, and I don't mess with either of them ;)
I hope this one comes out strolling during the night. But I wonder if it will do so, because on the little rock formation it has, it used webbing to close ALL of the openings with vermiculite strung with web. I do hope to see it though. How often do yours show themselves?

Oh, and I read one of your old posts talking about your large number of curlyhair slings. How are they doing and how do you house so many?!? :)

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by JacenBeers
I would recommend never touching it unless you just happen to have one of those handy dandy ten foot poles kicking around. Last night I changed the substrate in my Usumburas cage and it took 45 mins just to round it up so that I didnt get bitten. Mine is so mean but I still get a kick of how it hisses by grinding its fangs together. Mine molted inside its web retreat. Otherwise it usually just hangs on a sorta hammock that it makes and destroys it every couple of days and makes a new one.
Yeah, the pet store that the P. Murinus was at, it indeed molted inside it's web retreat a few weeks ago according to the pet store. Since the highest mortality in T's is when they are molting, and these like to molt in their own designed retreats, do these species have lower molting mortality rates that others because they create their own surroundings for molting? Just wondering.. :cool:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Originally posted by AlbinoDragon829
I hope this one comes out strolling during the night. But I wonder if it will do so, because on the little rock formation it has, it used webbing to close ALL of the openings with vermiculite strung with web. I do hope to see it though. How often do yours show themselves?

Oh, and I read one of your old posts talking about your large number of curlyhair slings. How are they doing and how do you house so many?!? :)
once they are established, they will probably come out during the night at least. The couple I have co-habitating comes out both night and day. Right now, the male is out and the female is at the burrow entrance.
She plugs the entire burrow though as well. My other one would completely plug the entrance to her log home during the day, then she would tear it down and come out at night.
As far as the slings go, I've found homes for them all! I used 1oz deli cups for each sling, and I cut up mealworms and feed them 2x per week. the hard part was getting them all separated and housed, now the maintenence is much easier!

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cool

Hey Holley if those baby usumbaras all sprout nicely into young adults and u got more than a handle think I can buy one from ya?

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: Cool

Originally posted by Alonso99
Hey Holley if those baby usumbaras all sprout nicely into young adults and u got more than a handle think I can buy one from ya?
Yeah, me too! If you've got enough and you'll sell sub adults or whatnot, I'll buy one too.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Unfortunately for me (and you!) I have to split them with the owner of the male (that's not the unfortunate part) and I only have 28 that I think will survive. (that is the unforunate part) Now, that's not to say that I'm going to keep 14 of them to full grown adults, but I do want them well started, so *if* I sell any, it won't be for a few months.
However, I will keep in mind that you are interested, and see if you still are when and if I get to that point!

Edit: I meant to also add that I have another Usambara couple cohabitating, so if I get an eggsac from that, we'll be in good shape!

Last edited:

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks to all who contributed. I didn't think I should uncover the web dooring or whatever. I went down to look at the enclosure and it tore down the webbing in front of my eyes. Webmaster (cool name, get it.. hehehe =D ) is arboreal for the most part. :)

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
albino

Nice, let nature do its course, them lil guys love their hiding spots.

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Holley

Ok I understand u want those babies doing pretty well.
thanks for keeping me in mind.

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

However, I will keep in mind that you are interested, and see if you still are when and if I get to that point!

Edit: I meant to also add that I have another Usambara couple cohabitating, so if I get an eggsac from that, we'll be in good shape! [/B]

Oh, absolutely. I guaruntee that I'll still be interested then :)

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mister Internet
mmmmmm..... looks like cotton candy... :)
It's more believable that that stuff would be cotton candy, but I talked to the person who's tarantula that is, and that's real webbing! I just want to know if perhaps one day my P. Murinus will spaz out and redecorate his cage with mass webbing.