I must not give in to my temptation...

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
...for it might lead to disaster but.....at my local petshop they are selling an H. maculata spiderling. I've been quite tempted to buy it but I am quite apprehemnsive about the speed and ferocity of old world arboreals. I know it would end in disaster for sure.

bluerich74

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Way cool species,in fact the only one im kinda leary of.its just that it is always on its driftwood right at the opening of its cage and facing it like its ready to pounce on me..lol...Rich

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by bluerich74
Way cool species,in fact the only one im kinda leary of.its just that it is always on its driftwood right at the opening of its cage and facing it like its ready to pounce on me..lol...Rich
Which is why I'm not giving in to my temptation. I know something disasterous like an escape would occur. Maybe I'll stick with purchasing a Cockatiel.

bluerich74

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine did get away and got under the kitchen cabinets,i had to rip up the boards on the bottom front of the cabinets and fish it out with a coat hanger,it does cover its driftwood with some beautiful webbing tho,just got this look tho...gulp.lol

bluerich74

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I shouldnt complain ,i did get a great deal on it.$10 for a 4 or 5"

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just don't think my Apartment Supervisor would be too happy if I had a spider escape on me too.

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You know you want it ;)

*buy it*

Just get it, it'll enhance your respect for the wonderful *buy it* world of tarantulas. A good *buy it* mix of fear, respect and the correct *buy it* education will keep you safe. If you don't like it, *buy it* sell it in 4 moults time *buy it* and make 'double your money' (I don't know the prices for this spider)*buy it*

*buy it*

Did you notice my feeble attempts at subliminal messaging? ;) *buy it*

Inuleki

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
honestly, in this area, do we really have to even try to be subliminal? everyone's gonna tell you to get it.. i won't say get it, but hey, if you want it go for it, if you don't get something else... either way, at least get something

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, after my Terrestrial Cobalt Blue Luci tried to scurry out the hatch when I was giving her water, I am almost quite convince I will not get an Old World Arboreal.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Inuleki
honestly, in this area, do we really have to even try to be subliminal? everyone's gonna tell you to get it..
I won't.

Don't get it. Disaster is inevitable. Either for you or the spider.

Jon

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you think you canth andle it you Cant and dont get it that simple I'd hate to think of what lack of confidence could end up for the spider.. possibly a death sentance...

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
DON'T GET A COCKATIEL , mom got one 13 years ago and for 13 years its been the most annoying pet we've ever had. they are poop machines, they are pissy, and they never stop their damned infernal sqawking!

Inuleki

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ah, but they're better than the sunbirds... i hate those things.

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My mother is scared of birds because 'they flap'. Great logic isn't it?

Anyway, whilst ont he topic of the H.Maculata, do any of yours burrow? I've a small one and I havn't seen it for a good 3 months, other than the occasional peek of a toe or something before it hides in it's burrow

Hairyspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
re tempted

Godzilla, know exatly what you mean, yesterday, I went to the East Bay Vivarium, and they had one, it was huge, well prob my lack of knowledge on the size factor, made it bigger, no size listed on the encl, would venture to guess about 4in leg span.($45) Well to make a long story short, I didn't get it, from my reading on this site, right now its outta my league. But they are cool looking.

Later

William

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've got two (From Poecilotheria/Steve/Theonewhogotbit.)

And while I don't hold them, they seem calm enough.

I fear my Usumbara more than I fear these.

They also seem to be the most active spiders I have -- they're almost always doing something.

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Pretty cool species to be at a local petshop..... Maybe yours is better than mine! I'd nab it and save someone from buying it that has NO IDEA what it is....

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by xBurntBytheSunx
DON'T GET A COCKATIEL , mom got one 13 years ago and for 13 years its been the most annoying pet we've ever had. they are poop machines, they are pissy, and they never stop their damned infernal sqawking!
Well, I plunked money down on a Quaker (Monk) Parakeet today. They are squawkers (And what squawkers they are.) when they're bored and have nothing to keep their interest. Which means I will be overstimulating it like crazy. Oh and I resisted and did not buy that H. maculata.

Last edited: