Egg case ID

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
I found this attached to a concrete wall on a building near my house. It is just over an inch. I search mantids, beatles, ect, and couldnt find any convincing matches.

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
:wall:
ootheca, just searched and found them.....I had forgotten the term lol! Looks like your right, I was searching egg sac/case and kept getting hits of roundinsh ones. Ive found pics that look almost identical but no sp. is mentioned. Im goign to guess. Tenodera sinensis due to its size, I couldnt imagine one of the small brown ones cranking that honker out. Any sp. guesses out there?
Its around 90-100 right now,m so Im going to keep this one in my hot box @ 95 and see what happens (there is a variable night drop).

357wheelgunner

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A friend of mine and I found one of those in a field when we were 12 or so. He took it home and put it on his dresser. A week later his room was filled with hundreds of mantis babies. His mom was super pissed, going around with a vacuum sucking them up and cussing.

It was awesome.

Brianhogs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A friend of mine and I found one of those in a field when we were 12 or so. He took it home and put it on his dresser. A week later his room was filled with hundreds of mantis babies. His mom was super pissed, going around with a vacuum sucking them up and cussing.

It was awesome.
LOL!!!

I suck when it comes to mantids

petshopguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just hatched 4 mantis ootheca in the last week - Tenodera Sinensis and Mantis religiosa. Your ootheca is def not Tenodera, but it is prob a Mantis religiosa (religiosa ootheca are shaped like a football, but many of them can have a deformed appearance - especially if the mantid is disturbed while laying the eggsac, or when attaching it to a wall, instead of a stick). I hatched mine at room temp. Let me know if you need housing info, feeding info, etc.

Check out this link for an ootheca guide:
http://insectstore.com
Then scroll down to the bottom left for Care Guidelines - Ootheca Identification
*I tried to make the link right to the page, but it wouldn't work.

Last edited:

ftorres

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello,
That is a deformed Tenodera ootheca. Perhaps one of the very last laid for the season and it look open in one end, perhaps field crickets or other inverts munch on it.

regards
francisco