Anyone knows what big creature this is?

AlanMM

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Anyone knows what big creature this is? Part 1

I saw this "beetle?" in Costa Rica.
Anyone got an idea what this is... I surely was gigantic, at least the size of my hand. (without the antenna's)

Last edited:

bugster

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
harlequin beetle

It's a fairly common Longhorn Beetle (Cerambycidae) called Acrocinus longimanus or the Harlequin Beetle. Yours is a male. Google for more info. They're for sale on ebay fairly regularly. A decent sized one would have about a 60 mm body length. Cheers.

AlanMM

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the info!

I ment of course the size of my hand with the frontlegs included...

bugster

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the info!

I ment of course the size of my hand with the frontlegs included...
yea, no worries. . .i knew what you meant and they are very impressive beetles. they actually have commensal pseudoscorpions that live underneath the elytral wing coverings. The modified forelegs are perfect for climbing tree trunks, etc. in the tropical forests. Males have longer forelegs, whereas females are similar in appearance but shorter length. The "harlequin" common name refers to the appearance of a harlequin face or mask (mouth, eyes) on the wing coverings. They're pretty amazing bugs!! I have a few mounted specimens in my collections (and an unmounted specimen as well) but I have yet to enjoy seeing one live as you did. Congrats!!

Oh, and you saw that one in Costa Rica? Do you know if it was caught locally or imported because most species I've seen are found in South America, specifically Peru and Brazil.

AlanMM

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It was caught locally.

Is it not known to be "that far" up north?

bugster

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just confirmed the range extending from southern mexico down to northern argentina. guess i learned something today!! thanks. :)