Good beginner T

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjaeger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey all. I'm into scorps and I'm thinking about getting a T. So my question is, what's a good beginner T that's non-aggressive and easy to maintain?

Thanks,
Brandon

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do a search and you will get alot of results with some good info as this has been asked tons of times. :)

My short list for you

G rosea
B smithi
A versicolor

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A 5 gallon should be fine for even a fully grown adult G rosea.

If I were you i'd check out some other spp such as G aureostriata (kitten), L parahybana (big spaz), N chromatus (feisty), C cyaneopubescens (stunning looking spaz), or any of a number of more interesting t's. Your experience w/ scorps, even if it's only a little should allow you to get something a little more advanced than the basic G rosea if you want to.

Check out the for sale section of this site for the best deals but read up on the sellers comments before you buy.

Edit: also B albopilosum (IMO the very best starter sp) B smithi or any Avicularia if you want to try an arboreal variety.

wsimms

Arachnodaddy
Old Timer

If I were you i'd check out some other spp such as G aureostriata (kitten), L parahybana (big spaz), N chromatus (feisty), C cyaneopubescens (stunning looking spaz), or any of a number of more interesting t's.
I agree. I own all of those except N chromatus, and would vouch for them. However, as a proud new owner of a 7 inch L. parahybana, she has leaprfogged her 8 various "siblings" to the top of my favorite list. They are easy to care for, out in public all the time, and very handlable.

You might want to check out the bite reports, which, if I'm not mistaken, is led by the #1 biter, G. rosea. This + personal experience tells me that "psycho rosies" aren't as rare as commonly perceived. Also note the absence of L. parahybana bite reports.

bjaeger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

If I were you i'd check out some other spp such as G aureostriata (kitten), L parahybana (big spaz), N chromatus (feisty), C cyaneopubescens (stunning looking spaz), or any of a number of more interesting t's. Your experience w/ scorps, even if it's only a little should allow you to get something a little more advanced than the basic G rosea if you want to.

Check out the for sale section of this site for the best deals but read up on the sellers comments before you buy.

Edit: also B albopilosum (IMO the very best starter sp) B smithi or any Avicularia if you want to try an arboreal variety.
Hmm the B albopilosum sounds pretty appealing. I'm definitely looking for an arboreal species. Can you handle them once in a while without worrying about them sprinting away from you? I'm not worried about the bite as much as I am the sprinting.

Will a 5 gallon be good for a B albopilosum? Or do they need more height since they're arboreal?

I've had an Emperor scorpion for roughly 6 months now and I'm considering getting some more advanced scorps as well. I handle my scorp about once a month, if that. Do T's get stressed just like scorps do?

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it :)

bjaeger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree. I own all of those except N chromatus, and would vouch for them. However, as a proud new owner of a 7 inch L. parahybana, she has leaprfogged her 8 various "siblings" to the top of my favorite list. They are easy to care for, out in public all the time, and very handlable.

You might want to check out the bite reports, which, if I'm not mistaken, is led by the #1 biter, G. rosea. This + personal experience tells me that "psycho rosies" aren't as rare as commonly perceived. Also note the absence of L. parahybana bite reports.
Thanks for the info! I don't think I'll be getting a G. Rosea after hearing that. I don't want my first T experience to be a bad one.

Stuart C

Arachnopeon
I'll agree with either a G. Aureostriata or B. Smithi both lovely and recommended !

jen650s

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmm the B albopilosum sounds pretty appealing. I'm definitely looking for an arboreal species. Can you handle them once in a while without worrying about them sprinting away from you? I'm not worried about the bite as much as I am the sprinting.

Will a 5 gallon be good for a B albopilosum? Or do they need more height since they're arboreal?

I've had an Emperor scorpion for roughly 6 months now and I'm considering getting some more advanced scorps as well. I handle my scorp about once a month, if that. Do T's get stressed just like scorps do?

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it :)
The B. albopilosum is a terrestrial. The Avicularia spp. are arboreal. With the Avicularias you have to worry more about poo shooting than other things, although they are relatively fast when they choose.

As far as biting G. roseas go, at least part of the reason that you see so many G. rosea bites is more people have G. roseas and more people handle them as well. With anything the more exposure there is the more potential for problems exist, so...

What ever you get, it won't be your last I am sure. Any of the recommended species will do really as beginner Ts so pick one that you like the look of and can provide proper care for and get ready to get hooked.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Any T can bite, some more than others, but never forget these are wild animals not puppies or kittens (both of which can bite and scratch).

I have two G roseas, and just like any of my T's they have good and bad days, but I am of the opinion that less is more. I do not handle my T's unless its to re-house.

I have a buch of arboreals, and they do not like to be handled period, even avis's would rather be left alone. Yes you can handle avis, but why do it, all your doing is putting undue pressure on delicate animals.

Ask yourself, why do you want a T, then do some research and then provide it a suitable home.

PIG-

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hit the search button

Go to Advanced Search

Select Titles only

Type in Beginner T

There are A LOT of pages on this already. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.