My OBT thinks she is a Rosie....

spiderhawk

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So about a month ago I get a new OBT. She is about 2 1/2" and I think she is suffering from an identity crisis:

1. She was EASY to rehouse. Went right in, no problems.

2. She hasn't eaten since I got her, about a month ago. I'm not familiar with this species, but I don't see any obvious signs of a pending molt like I do with my Brachy's. She just appears to be fasting to annoy me! :D

3. No webbing whatsoever!

4. She pretty much just sits there. She is plenty healthy, so I'm not sure what the deal is.

Go figure! :?

unitard311

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My OBT was a webbing freak in his smaller enclosure. When moved to a cage with a hide he immediately burrowed. No webs, except inside the burrow. They are strange little buggers. I was really hoping he'd web up the new enclosure. He comes out at night and I sneak out to see him but as soon as he sees me he ducks back into the burrow. Meanie!!

GOMER113

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just rehoused my four OBTs a few hours ago. I took out their flower pots, which had all sorts of webbed tunnels connected to them, and put the flower pot along with whatever substrate was connected to them into bigger tanks with more substrate. I figured they'd be more comfortable with a familiar element.

As soon as I opened each container, they went right into hiding, so that made them easy to move.

I also fed them each a full grown cricket (the OBTs are about 2.25"). The first one that I threw in, the T grabbed it and ran toward its hole, then it stopped and the cricket was kicking like crazy. It looked like the T was operating a jackhammer. {D I prekilled the other crickets, just as a safety precaution.

Ace_Man

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you're saying G. Rosea's don't web. My chilean rose has webbed an entire 10 gallon tank up.

Alot of T's will stop eating for no reason too. My P. Regalis (Indian Ornamental) ate one or two crickets since it molted a month and a half ago. And that was right after the molt (into 6"), since then it has let them walk on him and everything. I'm sure he'll go nuts on them again soon enough. He's not abnormally small or anything.

My T. Blondi (Goliath Birdeater) has only ever kicked hairs once, and was very easy to rehouse. When most of that species will give you a fight.

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
OBTs are not famous for being good eaters... :} If it's not psychotic, then you're lucky you got a unique specimen!