P.Murinus, P. Regalis, B. Boehmei/smithi! WHICHHH!

liette

Arachnopeon
I've gotten a G.Rosea as my first tarantula and now i've got a choice to get some slings.

1. P.Murinus
2. P.Regalis
3. B. Boehmei
4. B. Smithi

=)) Regalis seems pretty. i would like to know more bout these species and also the murinus. boehmei n smithi, i know about them already, too famous in the hobby.

Stuart C

Arachnopeon
Id say B goes before P in the alphabet and the same with T's ;)

both the P.murinus & P.regalis are great T's however these are very fast, and defensive, especially the P.murinus and the jump from a rosie to one of those is a bit of a difference, and these are display T's that you dont really want to put your hand near.

Id say go for the Smithi, great colourings and quite docile but can flick hairs and would be a much more ummm pleasant? 2nd T (is that the right word?)

Also theres loads of similar threads on this site with good suggestions and reasons have a read about :D

Ram!

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If I were you, i'll go for a B. Smithi or a B. Boehmei. :)

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
I agree with Stuart C, go for one of the Brachys, leave the aggressive species for later, when you'll have more experience with tarantulas.
Brachypelma smithi is a must! :)

radicaldementia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well if you're buying a sling, then P. murinus would be fine. They are not aggressive when they are young, but they still are very fast. My next T after my first rosea was a 1.5" P. murinus, and I've had no problems. He's grown a good 2-3 inches since then, and I've been able to learn more about his behavior and how to treat him as he's matured. Treat it with great respect and caution (and NO handling!!!!) and you won't have any problems. Same goes for P. regalis. But I should stress that if you want to get one, do your research and know how to work with them.

Brachies are cool T's too, B. smithi is like the T everyone has to have, but they grow reallllllllllly slooooooow. I have a few and honestly they are not very exciting when they are little. If you only have 1 other T I wouldn't recommend a brachy sling ..... unless you buy a bunch of them :}

BurrowDweller

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would say that from your list the only one I would recommend against is the regalis, and even then they are not that hard to take care of. The murinus can be quick and defensive but are about the most simple T to care for. They are highly adaptable and very tough. I also like the Brachys but they do grow slowly so you have to be very patient. If you get slings it will be several years before you get a large T. As the murinus are not expensive I would get a Brachy and get a murinus. The murinus grow quickly so you will have a least one nice sized T in a couple years.

Jorsher

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A P. Murinus was my second tarantula. I got it at about 1.5" and it molted and is now around 2".

It is completely psychotic.

I was putting it into a new home yesterday, it wouldn't come out its hide, so I flipped the hide upside down with him in it, in the new home, and of course he wouldn't cooperate. I started lightly pressing down on the dirty in the bottom of his hide and he popped up like magic in a threat pose. After a long time of patiently waiting, and it not moving, I poked it again and it flipped out and ran off. I had its homes in a big rubbermaid storage thing so I had a little more time to catch it in the event it tried to escape (which it always does). I quickly caught it, and got it back into its new home.

If you aren't ready to deal with that, I'd stick with a brachypelma or something else slightly less nuts. In the month or so that I've had it, it has freaked out and escaped three times now. Once soon after I got it and stupidly was trying to coax it out hole, second time when I opened the lid to show a friend, and third time when I tried to move it to a new home.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you get a brachy try to find one at least 2" in size so you don't have to wait 4 years for it to start getting big. I'd wait on the pokie until you have a little more experience. Try avics first.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A grown up smithi if you don't wanna wait. You can get the two others, but as slings only, you will adapt to it as it grows.

Le Wasp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
B. boemhi's are beautiful spiders, but watch your pocketbook - they're expensive. B. smithis aren't exactly cheap either, but they're also handsome and easy going.

I've read that boemhi's are supposed to be notorious hair flickers, but my smithi's are both much worse for that -- they kick hairs at their crickets, incoming water in their dish, etc. They handle just fine once they're on my hand, oddly enough.

I'll also support the notion of them taking a long time to mature... I got two 2.5+" smithi's last year, and one of them is finally just about to molt.

Crazy0monkey

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
GO with bracs b4 u get into pokies. My pokie was like.. my 6th or 7th tarantula. Amazingly fast, I almost lost it takeing it out of the vial. SO be smart, get the bracys first then get an arboreal like a a.versicolor(beautiful) then id suggest looking intoa pockey as they are very fast, get pretty large and can pack a bad bite

xodustrance

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, I got 4 pokies (regalis) from talkenlate - and they are kinda speedy for a t. At least in comparison to a rosie.

However, the regalis doesnt seem to be too dificult to care for. They eat plenty, and seem content in mason jars as slings.

Another thing to be concerned about w/ pokies is the venom. I hear its a wee bit stronger than a typical B bite.

spiderhawk

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You have received some good advice. I own everything listed, and I have to say that I like my Brachy's best. The OBT (p.murinus) is pretty much a pet rock/hole. It's beautiful, but I don't get to see it much. My Brachy's are always out in the open, which is important to me. I like T's that are seen.

Just a side note, I purchased some T's yesterday from Northest Inverts and notices they have 2" sexed female B. smithi's for $45. Given your choices, I would jump all over that. In fact, at that price, you could probably still afford to buy a P. murinus sling as well, so you can kill two birds with one stone. Besides, it's an addiction. You will end up with more anyway, so why not get a couple now?

Stuart C

Arachnopeon
The OBT (p.murinus) is pretty much a pet rock/hole. It's beautiful, but I don't get to see it much. My Brachy's are always out in the open, which is important to me. I like T's that are seen.
I only got my OBT at the begining of the week, however mine is no pet hole, in fact its never even looked at any terrestrial hide and went and made a web home up in a plant living as an arboreal, from what I read though the red colour form which I have isnt as terrestrial as the typical colour.

liette

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the responses.

The slings mentioned are 2cm LS.

P.Murinus - USD6
P.Regalis -USD13
B.Boehmei/smithi - USD11

I do not intend to handle any of my inverts , does that mean that a fast T does not make a difference since it wouldn't be out of its tank?

xodustrance

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well thats just it. They will be out of their tank, and quite often if your doing slings. They will eventually need to be rehoused, and then tank cleanings as adults.

Dont forget about tank maintenance. While it isnt often if you dont have many, it does need to be done.

Jorsher

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You have received some good advice. I own everything listed, and I have to say that I like my Brachy's best. The OBT (p.murinus) is pretty much a pet rock/hole. It's beautiful, but I don't get to see it much. My Brachy's are always out in the open, which is important to me. I like T's that are seen.

Just a side note, I purchased some T's yesterday from Northest Inverts and notices they have 2" sexed female B. smithi's for $45. Given your choices, I would jump all over that. In fact, at that price, you could probably still afford to buy a P. murinus sling as well, so you can kill two birds with one stone. Besides, it's an addiction. You will end up with more anyway, so why not get a couple now?
That's where I just ordered my Singapore Blue from :) Hope they don't grow slowly

liette

Arachnopeon
when you say tank maintenance, wat exactly do u mean? change the substrate? destroy the webs?

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
Changing substrate - bad idea. At least to do it frequently. Maybe once a year, or once in every 2 year is OK. It's like when you move to another house for the T. Its not good to do that often, now is it? ;)
Destroying webs - worst idea. This is like tearing down the T.s home. Imagine some big thing entering your house and crushing all your furniture. Of course you can't rebuild your furniture from your abdomen, but... I think you get the idea.
Maintenance means: cleaning (poop for example), removing leftovers (crickets legs etc.), replacing water with fresh one, cleaning water dish, maybe misting for some species.