lobster roach egg case problems...

anaconda19

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well i just bought about sixty lobster roaches and have had them about five days now, they seem pretty happy. theyr in a faunarium, large, with toilet roll tubes and shredded cardboard and eggcrates. but one of them started to push out an egg case, it had about 7mm of it pushed out, then it just stoped and stayed still for two and a half days, it stayed within a two inch space on a toilet roll tube and had the egg case hanging out. the egg case went slightly brown on the end and the roach moved less and less. so what was up with it? how long should it take an egg case to come out before it takes it back into its body to incubate? thanks

p.s ive put it out of its misery now, or my chilean rose did anyway.... so just starting this thread to find out why it happened.

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well i just bought about sixty lobster roaches and have had them about five days now, they seem pretty happy. theyr in a faunarium, large, with toilet roll tubes and shredded cardboard and eggcrates. but one of them started to push out an egg case, it had about 7mm of it pushed out, then it just stoped and stayed still for two and a half days, it stayed within a two inch space on a toilet roll tube and had the egg case hanging out. the egg case went slightly brown on the end and the roach moved less and less. so what was up with it? how long should it take an egg case to come out before it takes it back into its body to incubate? thanks

It was probably an aborted / infertile egg case.

By the way... once you get babies that faunarium is not going to hold them..they can crawl through the slits. You will need to run vaseline along the top of the container and maybe put a piece of soft window screen between the top and the lid as a safety barrier to cut down on escapes.

anaconda19

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok then well it seemed stuck so it probably would have died anyway i reckon. i have got a two and a half inch smear of vaseline all around the top already and the lid on just for extra safey. how thick do you make the vaseline?

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
two and a half inch wide smear should be fine. How thick the smear should be depends. If it's a thin coating it'll still work until you accidently wipe some away without realizing it so usually a little thicker helps.