mutated mantis.... peacock mantis

anaconda19

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey i have had a baby peacock mantis, L3-4 and it shedded its skin but its now got a twisted body and looks like its been squashed... why did this happen during its shed? will its sort out next shed? how long till u feed after they shed? and will it die or recover? thanks :)

anaconda19

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
tried taking picture but couldnt get a clear one. will try again tomoro. p.s humidity is high, gently heated from back of enclosure to about 22-24c

MooSmoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ive had a few shedding problems, mainly with Australian / NZ mantids. Even with perfect conditions it can still go wrong. One we had got his catching legs stuck and he hardened with them crossed over. We handfed him crickets and fruit flies trying to help him reach his next shed but he died before he could make it.

As long as it can still catch prey it should be fine.

I always leave about 2 days to feed after shedding to make sure they are fully able..

Just a note from personal experience, never ever leave a cricket in over night. I lost a sub-adult molting to full adult to a cricket that attacked it mid-shed. He was an African mantid named Matey :(