Breeding M. robustums "Play by Play"

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
This is my very old male M. robustum, going at it for the fourth time with mrderanged's female, that he was kind e'nuff to let me borrow. This time and the 2nd time he definitly got at least one palpus in. Sorry for the dark pics,I Like to keep things dim to get them in the mood.

Attachments

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Im not expecting much from this breeding project as my male is very old. He also lost a leg last week. I cant believe hes still going.

Attachments

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Scotts female drummed loudly, when the male was in her cage, the male did a kind of funny twitching thing.

Attachments

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I wasnt sure if i should leave him for her to eat or not. His days are numberd either way. But when they were done he looked like he wanted out, and wanted to live. So, i'll give him another chance. Here is his palp as he climed out of her cage.=D

Attachments

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cool!

I really want to get a Megophpbema species -- prob. mesomelas.

But I would take one of these too.

How large to they get?

What is the average size of egg sac for this species?

Um...so have you guys developed an arachnocontest for this mating if it is successful?

Jon

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Well since then the female went on to lay a egg sac on 9/11/03.
Two weeks later the female looked like she lost interest in it, an abandon it. I cut it open to find a mess of eggs and mush. I'm thinking my male was shooting blanks, or was it possobably kept to damp? Here is a pick after i cut it open.

Attachments

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Breeding update.

Since then my male robustum died, Im suprised how long he lasted. ROUND 2. Botar sent his female to breed with MrDeranged's female. I was a little nervous to let them go at it at first, since the female did not respond to the male as quickly as she did to the first male. But a little patience and he got the job done , smoother than i expected.
here is a pic of the first attempt with Botars male, 11/1/03, sorry again for the quality of the pic.

Attachments

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Here is the second attempt. I'm suprised how easy going this spieces breeds. With both males, breeding seemed to go smoothly, with very little agression. These pics were from 11/5/03

Attachments

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
Re: Breeding update.

Originally posted by Philth
Since then my male robustum died, Im suprised how long he lasted. ROUND 2. Botar sent his female to breed with MrDeranged's female.

ummmmmm uhhhhhhhh hehehehhehe OK so I have a crooked mind!!!:p

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Breeding update.

Originally posted by Philth
ROUND 2. Botar sent his female to breed with MrDeranged's female.
I bet they enjoyed that..... :D
I bet any males in the area enjoyed watching too! =D

Sorry,, evil evil mind.

Bad Nixy Bad bad!

Great pictures by the way. Thanks for sharing :)

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Jon,
I have an adult female M. robustum that I got for a good price from Art Cerda. She's beautiful and I wouldn't give her up for the world, but I'm pretty sure I got one of her urticating hairs in my eye a few weeks ago. Since you gave up on most New World species because of the hairs.....

Philth,
Prior to selling her, Art tried to mate her. The mating went well, but she subsequently molted and Art sold her to me. She was 5" at the time and may not have been quite mature enough. In any case, in this species, it seems that females are less likely to kill the males.

Karen N.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would agree with Karen. That particular male cohabitated with my female off and on for a couple of months. She's getting big now so we'll see what happens.

Botar