My T. Blondi just molted, and now has 1/2 of one fang.

Tyrannosaur

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
:8o I was hoping this wouldn't happen. I've had "him" for a year, and this is his third molt, and he is probably over 8" now.

As he was flipped over I saw his white fangs, and one was alright, but the other was good until about half way and then it was clean and kind of looked like a bubble. My heart sank. I feel really bad for him.

I know this happens a lot with this breed, but I guess I am lucky that he has 1.5 fangs instead of 1 or zero.

I imagine its going to be well over a month before he is up to eating, so I hope he pulls through this fine.

saminthemiddle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Waxworms are easy for spiders to munch. ;)

Anyway, if it's any condolence spiders can't feel pain from damaged body parts.

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
As long as his fangs harden up without incurring any more damage, he should be just fine. This happened to my L. parahybana.She lost a whole fang after a molt, but carried on hunting and feeding just fine untill her next molt and lovely new pair of gnashers! {D

Tyrannosaur

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah I just don't know what went wrong. I try my best to take care of him.

I never feed him mice, only crickets and lots of them. lol
I keep him in a nice quiet, stress free spot.
I always keep a nice full water dish, a hide, 100% peat moss, try to keep it as moist as possible without mold growing.
I never mess with him or hold him, except when I change his cage, and that has only been a few times

saminthemiddle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I never feed him mice, only crickets and lots of them.
Good for you! :rolleyes:

Anyway, what probably happened was something, probably completely out of your control, happened while she was actually in the process of molting. Sometimes it just happens, that's life.

And if anyone turns this thread into a debate about feeding mice to T because of my joke: I swear... :wall:

Tyrannosaur

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Haha. Well I don't know if it is a male or female. I should look up how to tell again, and look at his fully intact molt, first one I've had from "it."

I noticed that his molt only has 1/2 a fang too. Last time he molted in the beginning of January both of his fangs came in fine, so I don't know if that sometimes happens with problematic molt, or if he lost one.

He is doing fine now though. After a day he came out of his hide and I caught him at the water dish. He is now laying down beside it all stretched out. It's so cute and sad at the same time.

Agent Jones

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
HeSheItThey has no idea it has a gimpy fang. I believe this is an excellent opportunity to name HeSheItThey Nemo, however. Bwaha.