Any T's illegal to have in the US?

Barons

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I read something about Australian customs service agents preventing people from importing T's but I'm not sure what type or when it happened.

So do you guys know of any that are illegal to have in the US and why?

These live tarantulas were illegally imported by spider smugglers and destined for private collections. However, they were intercepted in the post or during raids by Australian Customs Service officers and officers of the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service (AQIS).

rwlangbauer

Arachnopeon
answer & ?

some species are CITES protected -- a good thing. but anybody (spyder) born & bred in the states is cool. CA has a weird law "the native species protection act" but i don't think it has ever been applied to tarantulas. my hedgie was not so lucky. i needed to prove he was a long standing "companion animal" & cut his nuts off. OOCH! state & even municiple laws vary. CA, NJ & NYC are not a problem but i couldn't tell you about ND -- the flyover is weird. in the states i mentioned "caged" animals are a protected class -- fish are another story. you cannot be denied housing for keeping one -- no evictions. more than one critter can fall into a different class, illegal business operation, whatever. hope that helps. what are you thinking of getting?

now for my ?. i recent received a b. emilia. the vendor says she is 2 1/2yrs old. i'm not sure. she weighs 1.457g & is 2.72cm from spineret to mandible. i think she is only a yr but they do grow slowly. info would be much appreciated.

oops! CITES regulates international trade in endangered species. the AU & US (& most countries you would want to visit) are signatories. not a problem. importing may be cheaper (consider the death rate of T.s mailed from Sri Linka) but almost everything is now US bred. also while i don't object to someone trying to feed their family, wild captures turn my stomach.

Last edited:

Barons

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was just curious if there were any.

The one I'm getting is a Lasiodora parahybana

Crazy0monkey

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
THe LP is not illeagal XD. Idk of any sp that is illegal. Possibly stuf improted from austrailia.. But i guess once its here.. u could just say you found.. it..? lol

rwlangbauer

Arachnopeon
cites

google CITES! i looked @ it again. it just keeps getting weirder. i looks to me like there is no mention of the species you want. consult a lawyer (i'm a md). it looks like you can import, trade, anything. buy US! if you can. it's easier & better.

Crazy0monkey

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Pretty much.. Anything u buy from dealers in US, ITs perfectily legal to own. Just make sure your city does not have bans on exotic animals. Even if it does. I doubt anyone will ever know or report you if they find out

rwlangbauer

Arachnopeon
politics

CM you don't know the US. when things change in nov, we will once again honor our treaty obligations. things will change (for the better) but importing my little girl will become illegal. she's a CA girl. she's not going anywhere. she has citizenship. but international trade in a.pelma and b.pelma will become more difficult.

AU is a much smaller country. they don't have the arachnophile base that we do. they import much more frequently but they did sign CITES -- try to get a kangaroo.

you're almost right that no one will care or even notice but piss someone off & all bets are off. i found out the hard way.

in CA it will be fish & game who bust you. be careful. big guns (.45s you know if you need to murder a bear) little training.

jpet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
IIRC the qoute in the first post is regarding Tarantulas being smuggled into Australia.

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Some of you are missing one small detail.

There are some State & local town laws and ordinances prohibiting the ownership of exotic pets. You would have to check your State and/or town regulations to see if they mention inverts or venomous insects.

Barons

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was just wondering if there were any I don't plan on getting one or anything.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
THe LP is not illeagal XD. Idk of any sp that is illegal. Possibly stuf improted from austrailia.. But i guess once its here.. u could just say you found.. it..? lol
I have several Aussie Ts and they were imported legally

MVDaniel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do whatever you want, just don't have the city officials over for dinner.

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
T's

Pretty much all T's are legal but many of them are brought here illegally. Most T's can be imported with a simple Fish & Wildlife permit, and the proper paperwork. This is no different for cites as well .The person in the country of orgin needs to get the proper paper work and you need to submit that here but it's not much harder. Aussie imports are much harder as there are a lot more permits required, but it can and has been done legally. The are a few very venomous species like funnel web spiders that you can not get legally, but most T's are no problem. Importing requires many things:
1. Knowing people to buy from overseas.
2. Having large amounts of free cash (usually $5-$20K)
3. Having the proper import permits
4. The ability to deal with a lot of stress.
Your best bet is to just buy from some of the bigger online dealers and you'll be set. Of course like some mentioned there are some local laws but most pertain to large boids and not inverts.
James
www.blaberus.com

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
AU is a much smaller country. they don't have the arachnophile base that we do. they import much more frequently but they did sign CITES -- try to get a kangaroo.
Import what?

Spiders? Can you back that statement up?

Australia has some of the strictest laws regarding non-native species, and with good reason.

Eclipse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The law don't really care much about tarantulas anyway. There are a couple of species said to be illigal, but they're not going to search your house just because... Just get whatever you want and don't tell the law.

rwlangbauer

Arachnopeon
AU imports

i thought i said that AU customs was very strict. it's what i meant. AU imports many things we take for granted, not just live animals. in fact that trade is quite small. my source is the DOC where i have friends.
i wouldn't suggest doing anything illegal. enforcement is highly discretionary. decided by low level management. our gov is still pretty transparent. if you have a legal ? about Ts ask an official -- on line, in person or anything inbetween.

Barons

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
if u dont plan on getting one... WHy did u make a thread about it lol
I found a snail that is and I was just wondering if any T's were.

Snail in question is a Giant African Land Snail

[YOUTUBE]uj7wRgvUmBU[/YOUTUBE]

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The law don't really care much about tarantulas anyway. There are a couple of species said to be illigal, but they're not going to search your house just because... Just get whatever you want and don't tell the law.
i wouldnt go that far. there have been people busted for less. its only a matter of time before they focus on the T community. i know of people with a few species that are here illegally.... but no one is selling them. they dont even talk of the spiders existence. take a guess why.

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
imports

Like I said above you can pretty much get any T's if the country they are being shipped from allows it. For example with the proper paperwork you can get spiders from Australia, certain places in South America, and pretty much anything from breeders or keepers in Europe. Places like South Africa and Brazil can be very tough if not impossible and the only way you get these spiders is from breeders in Europe that have either breed them or smuggled them. The only listed protected species are:
Aphonopelma albiceps
Aphonopelma pallidum
Brachypelma spp.
which are all cites II and can be exported if Captive Produced with the proper paperwork. I personally have done this and it's just a little more work and cost. Like I mentioned before there are a very few unique spiders like the Australian funnel webs that are so deadly they are prohibited. There are two ways to brings spiders into the US, the right way and the wrong way. The correct way can be done with learning the system and going through the steps.{D The incorrect way you can get lucky and not get caught :embarrassed: or get busted and depending on the spiders and the country they came from be looking at fines or possible LACEY act violations leaded to Federal Pen time:mad:
Bottom line for 99% of the general public it's better to support the major dealers on the boards that are putting a lot of money, time, and effort to provide a wide variety of spiders. Importing is a ton of work and the rewards are not as great as one might think. Supporting captive breeding is also very good but I do get annoyed by people dismissing imported spiders as at one time all of them where imports, and honestly when captive breeding gets good on some of these species it makes it not worth importing anyway.
James
www.blaberus.com