Peat and coco fiber?

bjaeger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sphagnum peat moss and coco fiber.

Is it okay to mix it together? I bought a brick of coco fiber and only got about 2" in a 10 GAL. It's for a pair of Emps, btw.

Thanks, guys!

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Organic peat, no chemical additives (fertalizer etc)? then YEP

bjaeger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yup it's all natural.

Thanks, Thaedion! :D

I'll be posting here a lot more as I'm getting 6 scorps in the mail from Adam very soon.

rasputin

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'll start by saying that sphagnum and peat moss are two completely different types of moss. sphagnum is a perenial and peat has been dead for centuries to milenia. a lot of people refer to sphagnum as sphagnum peat and this is most likeley because they are collected together as peat is the decomposing moss below the sphagnum.

sphagnum is great to mix with the coco fiber because it retains moisture very well and holds structure which is great for burrowing species. I actually don't have any sphagnum on my shelves and the only reason for this is that I've been procratonating. I have numerous shreds of coco fiber and various types of sands and my own mixes that resemble the red dirt in the forests in oklahoma that I use to house a few species including my C. vittatus. naturally I go for the organic stuff with no addatives and stay clear of calcium carbonate sand as well. Mosser Lee carries sphagnum moss and it's distributed at numerous greenhouses and home improvement/hardware stores all over the country - http://mosserlee.com/products/lfsm.html. I hope this helps.

bjaeger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cool. That's what I have, sphagnum peat moss. I bought 2.2CF of it for like $6.80 or close to that. It didn't have ingredients on it, so I assume that it doesn't have any bad stuff in it. It says it's organic. I sure bought plenty of it!!

Thanks, rapsutin :)

rasputin

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Brandon, no prob. if it has a stamp saying it's certified organic then I can assure you that it's all natural and not a gmo either.