Regarding heart condition

bjaeger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So, I was diagnosed with the heart condition known as "mitral valve prolapse (mvp)" a couple years ago and I was wondering if anyone could dig up some info on the conflicts of a scorpion sting while having this particular condition.

Maybe I should go on a medical board. If anyone knows a good one to go to, feel free to let me know!

Thank you very much,
Brandon

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Only advice I can offer is....don't take the chance. You dont wanna get stung by any scorpion since you still dont know how it will effect you.

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My Aorta and the other artery of mine wher eborn reversed, so the chambers pumped blood in all directions. I am pretty the nuerotoxins of a scorpion could do extra damage since they affect heart rate and what not.

olablane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I also have mitral valve prolapse. My dentist said I should not handle my Ts and scorps because of the danger of infection in the heart increases if I should get bit or stung.

CEM

Arachnopeon
I’m no medical professional, but I think that you would be O.K with an Emp (or something comparable), just be careful. Most of the time they will not sting unless agitated or provoked. According to a friend of mine who has been stung, its sting is comparable to a honeybee sting and they’re very mellow. I’ve kept scorpions (From AA’s to Emps) for the last 10 years or so and fortunately have never been stung (Knocks on wood). You just need to learn about your scorpions’ mannerisms and treat himher accordingly.

If you’re that worried about your condition, I would ask your physician what he/she thinks. I wouldn’t trust someone on a medical BB for advice.

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Either way.
Healthy or not, there is no way you'll get stung if you are a good scorpion keeper.

Take the precautions, don't get careless, whoever it is.

bjaeger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the info, guys. I don't have a physician at the moment. I've only been to the doctor a handful of times for anything.

The inverts I'm getting are:
0.0.4 B. jacksoni
0.0.1 Bothriurus sp. (can't find a care sheet anywhere!)
1.1.0 P. imperator (already have a 0.0.1 juvenile one)
0.0.1 Scolopendra subspinipes de haani - I've heard these guys can pack a punch. I'm reconsidering getting this guy.
0.0.1 B. albopilosum
0.0.1 G. rosea s'ling

Kinda a lot to get at once, but I've already setup the enclosures for most of them today. I also have a lot of free time and have been studying everyone of them.

I'm not worried about the T's affecting my heart, though.

Brandon

olablane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you do happen to get stung or bitten just make sure to clean the wound to keep infection away. Infection is what is dangerous with mitral valve prolapse.

bjaeger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yup. Will do, olablane! I've had a lot of infections from cuts/scrapes/etcetera and none have played a significant role with my MVP. It's probably totally different with an animal bite/sting, though. I'll still take my precautions for sure!