MEXICAN red knee

L_mactans

Arachnolush
Old Timer
What better way to reminisce about the homeland than a couple of spicy tacos and a bottle of tequila? :D

Kelly (L_mac)

Attachments

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
On the subject of Mexican Redknees, my Mira was mislabeled as a Mexican Red Leg. I think we need to start a movement to have suppliers start using scientific names when selling Tarantulas to Petstores. I mean a Redleg and a Red Knee are two totally different types of spiders.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Actually, I'll defend the petstore somewhat.

Mexican redleg was the "correct" common name for B. smithi for many decades. It was only when the American Arachnology Society decided that B. emilia was "really a redleg" that the original redleg became a redknee.

So, depending on whether you believe there actually is any authority for common names or not, you can argue both ways whether the petstore made a mistake.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
Actually, I'll defend the petstore somewhat.

Mexican redleg was the "correct" common name for B. smithi for many decades. It was only when the American Arachnology Society decided that B. emilia was "really a redleg" that the original redleg became a redknee.

So, depending on whether you believe there actually is any authority for common names or not, you can argue both ways whether the petstore made a mistake.
Well, I'm talking about today's climate where the B. smithi is called the Red Knee and the B. emillia is called the Red Leg. This just enforces that Common Names should not be used.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by Godzilla2000
On the subject of Mexican Redknees, my Mira was mislabeled as a Mexican Red Leg. I think we need to start a movement to have suppliers start using scientific names when selling Tarantulas to Petstores. I mean a Redleg and a Red Knee are two totally different types of spiders.
I STILL push for the scientific name movement! I told my local pet store dude that I'm not going to buy another T from him unless he gets the sci. names. He's ALREADY getting screwed by his supplier, every time I buy a T.... we get home and it molts into a male. He says that I'M the expert and I should know... but I'm not going to pick up an unfamiliar pokie and get up close and personal checking out his tummy.... which are so close to his fangs!:rolleyes:

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'd much rather common names be used, i think it would be fine if there was an "official" common name like there is a scientific name. besides common names are a lot easier than latin mumbo jumbo

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by xBurntBytheSunx
i'd much rather common names be used, i think it would be fine if there was an "official" common name like there is a scientific name. besides common names are a lot easier than latin mumbo jumbo
Never going to happen, never should happen. The reasons against common names have been well documented on this forum and every other T focused forum and list out there.

The short version: scientific names are identical whether in Japan, or Argentina, common names are country or even just region specific. Since we can't even get Britain and America's arachnological societies to agree on common names, good luck getting the rest of the world.

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
First off, the orginal picture was adorable :)

Onto the scientific vs. common name debate:

Why not just have pet shops use BOTH names? The common for the everyday people who come in, and the scientific for them and for the enthusiests out there. Most reptile shops will do that with their snakes already. Why not spiders as well?

-Bryan